This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Chocolate Peppermint Drop Cookies are packed with chocolate, chocolate chips, peppermint and topped with crushed dye free candy canes! A perfect cookie for the peppermint fans over the holiday season!
It's my most favorite time of the year for baking! I mean I love it all year, but there's just an extra special feeling I get when I am baking cookies for everyone to enjoy over the holidays. I happen to love peppermint, and I crave it over the holiday season. Nothing pairs better with peppermint than chocolate. It is such a good combo and it makes these cookies taste amazing! This is a simple double chocolate drop cookie with some added peppermint flavor and a special ingredient that keeps these cookies soft and chewy. They are very similar to my Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. Plus, I finally have found some dye free candy canes to make the tops of these cookies extra pretty! A perfect holiday season treat! And I might add, these cookies are so good with coffee and hot cocoa. Just saying!
Chocolate Peppermint Drop Cookies Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Peppermint Extract
- Baking Cocoa
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Dye Free Candy Canes, optional
- White Chocolate Chips or Wafers, optional
Festive Peppermint Cookies
These cuties are the epitome of holiday cookies. They are so festive and so cute. To make these chocolate cookies festive I add crushed candy canes to the tops of the cookie dough before I bake them. To even go above and beyond, you can melt some white chocolate chips or wafers and either drizzle it over the cookies or dunk half of the cookie and sprinkle with more candy cane bits. All variations are going to give you a fun and festive Chocolate Peppermint Cookie that people are going to ask for every holiday season!
How to Make Chocolate Peppermint Drop Cookies
Step 1: Make the Dough
In a stand mixer or with a hand beater, cream the butter, brown sugar and honey until smooth. Next, add the peppermint extract and eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each egg until dough is creamy. Add the cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt. Mix on low until a dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips.
Quick Tip: Spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray before measuring the honey. The honey will slide right out with no sticky messes to worry about.
Step 2: Scoop the Cookies
Using a medium sized cookie scoop or rounded tablespoonfuls, place cookies 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle top of cookie dough with crushed candy canes and lightly press them into the dough.
Step 4: Bake the Cookies
Bake the cookies in a 350° oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will look a little underdone in the middle, but that is exactly what you want them to look like. Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Step 5: Add More Festive Flare
Can I freeze Double Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Yes! You can freeze the dough or the baked cookies.
- Freeze cookie dough: Scoop the dough onto a parchment lined pan, add peppermint bits and freeze for a couple hours. Then place the frozen dough in a freezer safe container between layers of wax paper. This will help protect the candy cane bits.
- To bake frozen cookie dough: Bake as directed in recipe, but increase the baking time by 2-3 minutes.
- Freeze baked cookies: Place cooled and decorated cookies in a freezer safe container between layers of wax paper.
- To thaw: simply remove from freezer and let thaw on counter.
More Holiday Cookies
- Peanut Butter Temptations
- Frosted Pumpkin Drops
- Italian Almond Cookies
- Butter Spritz Cookies
- Confetti Sugar Cookies
- Gingerbread Men
- Sugar Cookie Cut Outs
Give these delicious and sweet Chocolate Peppermint Drop Cookies a try, share them with all the peppermint lovers in your life and let me know how much they enjoyed them in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Chocolate Peppermint Drop Cookies
- 1½ cups salted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ teaspoons pure peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 candy canes, dye free & crushed
- white chocolate chips or wafers, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand beater, cream together the butter, brown sugar or honey.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg until creamy.
- Add cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium sized scoop or rounded tablespoonful, place cookie dough 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Top cookie dough with a teaspoon of crushed candy canes and gently press them into the dough.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will look a little underdone in the middle, but that is exactly the way you want them!
- Let cookies cool 5 minutes on pan, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt white chocolate chips or wafers in microwave or double boiler, drizzle chocolate over cookies or dip half the cookie in chocolate and sprinkle with more crushed candy canes. Let sit until chocolate has hardened before storing.