This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe is easy to make and creates a smooth, creamy and perfectly sweetened filling inside a buttery and flakey crust. This pie is iconic and will be loved by all your family!
You can't go wrong with a classic. This pie is a classic and probably the most popular Thanksgiving dessert. This pie also happens to be my hubby's favorite of all time. He loves it so much he gets his own for Thanksgiving and Christmas. He is definitely a spoiled husband. But can we talk about this pie some more? Its glorious, incredibly easy to make and basically foolproof. If you want to get some extra hugs from your family, make them a pie. Any pie but I'd start with this pumpkin pie!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe Ingredients
Pumpkin Puree vs. Pumpkin Pie Mix
Pureed Pumpkin is pure pumpkin with no added ingredients whereas Pumpkin Pie Mix is already mixed with a sweetener and spices.
How to Make Butter Pie Crust for Pumpkin Pie
Step 1: Make the Dough
In the food processor add the flour and salt and pulse it a few times. Next add the butter and pulse just until it looks like very course crumbs. You want the butter to be the size of peas. Next add the egg and 4 tablespoons of the ice cold water and pulse a few times to combine. At this point the dough will be starting to form, but there will still be a lot of dry flour visible. Add another 2 tablespoons of water and pulse a few times until the dough starts to form and clump together. If there is still a lot of visible flour or the dough is not forming, add ice cold water 1 tablespoon at a time and pulse just a few times after adding. I usually end up using 6-7 tablespoons of water. The dough will be slightly crumbly.
Step 2: Wrap and Chill the Dough
Dump the dough out on a piece of plastic wrap and form it into 2 discs then wrap it individually. Chill the dough for at least an hour.
Step 3: Roll and Form Crust for Pumpkin Pies
Get out that pastry mat and sprinkle on some flour. If you don’t have a pastry mat you can use your counter, flour it well so the dough don’t stick. Roll the dough starting from the center and rotating several times, into a 12 inch diameter circle, the crust will be about ⅛ inch thick. Gently place the dough into a pie plate. Roll the dough that is hanging over the edges under and rest it on the edge of the pie place. Now you can crimp using your index finger and thumbs. Or you can simply roll or fold the dough and leave it for a rustic look. No need to prick the crust for pumpkin pie. Set the crust aside or in the fridge while you make the filling.
These are the basic steps for making the all butter pie crust, there is a lot more information on making the perfect pie crust in my Butter Pie Crust Recipe blog post. Head there and check it out if you need or want more tips and tricks!
Can I use refrigerated or frozen pie crust for pumpkin pie?
Yes you can. I of course prefer the homemade crust. However, both of those crusts will also work and your pie will still be delicious!
How to Make Pumpkin Pie From Scratch
Step 1: Make the Filling
In a large bowl, or stand mixer, whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth. Add the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk it together until everything is incorporated and smooth.
Step 2: Fill the Crust
Place the pie crusts on a baking sheet. Divide the filling evenly between the two prepared unbaked pie crusts.
Step 3: Bake the Pie
Place the pies on the middle rack in a 425° preheated oven Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat of the oven to 350° and continue baking for 50-60 minutes until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
How to Tell When Pumpkin Pie is Done Baking
- The sides of the filling will be set and the center will be jiggly, but will have no movement of batter.
- The center of the filling should not look wet.
- The edges of the filling will start to puff up and maybe separate a little bit from the crust.
- The filling will darken in color.
- If you are still unsure about if it is done or not, use the tip of sharp pairing knife and insert it into the middle of the pie, if it comes out clean the pie is done.
Tips for the Best Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- If you are worried about the crust getting too brown, cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield or aluminum foil.
- Don't worry if the filling cracks, it sometimes happens and the pie will still be delicious.
- Don't be alarmed about how runny the pie filling is before it's baked, it is supposed to be runny.
How to Freeze a Whole Pumpkin Pie
Did you know you could freeze the whole pie? Well you can! Once the pie is baked and completely cooled, wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap. I do 3 layers of plastic wrap top to bottom around the entire pie. Then label and date it, and freeze. The pie will last 2-3 months in the freezer.
To thaw pie: Thaw the pie overnight in the refrigerator. Do not thaw on the counter, thawing at room temperature will create a soggy crust and the filling to release extra moisture. Thaw in the fridge!
More Pumpkin Recipes to Enjoy!
- Fresh Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- White Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Frosted Pumpkin Drop Cookies
After you make this delicious Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe let me know how it turned out and how much you loved it in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Butter Pie Crust
Butter Pie Crust
- Add flour and salt to food processor, pulse a few times.
- Add cold cubed butter and pulse until course crumbs appear.
- Add egg and 4 tablespoons of water, pulse until it starts to form a dry crumbly dough.
- Add another 2 tablespoons of water to form a slightly crumbly dough that is clumping together. If needed add another 1 tablespoon at a time to form the dough.
- Dump out dough and form into 2 discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough into a 12 inch circle about ⅛ inch thick.
- Place dough in pie plate, roll and crimp edges. Place crusts on baking sheet and chill crust until ready to use.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Whisk together the brown sugar and eggs until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin, evaporated milk, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Whisk together until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Evenly pour the filling into the 2 pie crusts.
- Place pies on middle rack in oven.
- Bake pies for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake for 50-60 minutes until filling is set and crust is a deep golden brown.