This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Double the chocolate, double the deliciousness is what these Double Chocolate Chip Scones give you! A simple scone that is a decadent breakfast, a tasty snack, a great coffee dipper and can even be put in a packed lunch!
I couldn't decide whether to call these scones a breakfast dish, a snack or a dessert so I am going with all three. My family will devour them any time of the day! The kids love it when I pack them in their school lunches. I won't judge you what time of day you eat these delicious chocolate scones, just as long as you try them!
How to Make Double Chocolate Chip Scones
You Will Need
- 1-¾ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold salted butter, diced
- ⅓ cup cold milk, any type
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Make the Scones
Add in the butter and using a pastry cutter or your fingers combine the butter and dry ingredients until course crumbs are formed.
In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg and vanilla. Add to the large bowl along with the chocolate chips, and using a rubber spatula or your hands, mix together just until everything is combined. Be careful not to over mix the dough.
Turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured surface or parchment paper and using your hands form the dough into an 8-9 inch circle. Cut the dough into 8 triangles and place on the baking sheet. Or you can do all this right on the parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 13-16 minutes until the scones are set. The sides of the scones will no longer look glossy.
Let them cool if you can and enjoy all the goodness!
Tips for Making the Best Scones:
- Do not over mix the dough. The dough is going to appear crumbly, that's ok. As long as it will form a disc and stay together the dough is perfect. Not over mixing allows the scones to come out flaky and not dense.
- Make sure to use cold ingredients. The butter, milk and egg should all be cold. This also helps keep the scone nice and flaky.
Can I freeze scones?
Yes! You most definitely can freeze the baked scones. Place the scones in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag. Be sure to date and label the bag. Scones will last in the freezer 3-4 months.
Other Recipes you Might Enjoy
Once you give these decadent Double Chocolate Chip Scones a try, let me know how you liked them in the comments below! You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing!
Pin the recipe for later!
Double Chocolate Chip Scones
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the butter and using a pastry blender or fingers combine the butter with the dry ingredients until course crumbs.
- Combine the milk, egg and vanilla in a small bowl and add to the crumbs along with the chocolate chips. Using a rubber spatula or your hands, combine the mixture just until everything is combined, do not overmix. It is ok if the mix is crumbly.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface or the lined baking sheet and using your hands form the dough into an 8 to 9 inch disc.
- Slice the disc into 8 triangles and place a few inches apart on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes until the scones are set and the edges no longer look glossy.
- Let cool and enjoy!