Ham and Cheese Mini Frittatas are great for breakfasts, school lunches and even snacks. Full of eggs, ham and cheese makes these flavorful and filling. They are a great make ahead and freezer friendly breakfast making them a perfect on the go breakfast staple.
This post was originally posted on 4/17/2020 and updated on 4/14/2022.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
I love making these mini egg muffins, as my kids call them, because they make busy weekday mornings and hectic days better. When I have time, I meal prep a lot of foods for school lunches, the hubby's lunches, breakfasts and snacks. Some days we are so busy with all the kids' sports and activities and these tasty little guys come in super handy.
Mini Frittatas Ingredients
- Diced Ham: This recipe is a perfect way for using up any leftover ham. You can also used cooked and crumbled bacon or breakfast sausage, Canadian bacon as well as any already cooked veggies. Cooked broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus are all great options. Fresh spinach and green onion are great add in veggies too.
- Eggs: Large whole eggs are best for this recipe. If you are looking to cut back a few calories you can replace two of the eggs with 4 large egg whites.
- Milk: I use what we drink, which is 2% cows milk. You can use heavy cream or half and half for a more richer frittata. I have not tried this recipe with non-dairy milks, but they should work. The mini frittata just might not be as fluffy.
- Shredded Co-Jack Cheese: Any good melting cheese will work. Cheddar, pepper jack, muenster and swiss cheese are all delicious options.
- Dried Chives: Feel free to use fresh chives if you have them.
How to Make Ham & Cheese Mini Frittatas
- In a batter bowl or large bowl, (I prefer a batter bowl with a spout and handle for easy pouring) you will combine the large eggs and milk together and whisk until smooth.
- Then whisk in the dried chives, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the beaten eggs.
- Next, grease your muffin cup pan (12 muffins) with non stick cooking spray, I like to use olive oil spray. This is essential or your frittatas will not make it out of the pan nicely. Once the pan is greased, start building your frittatas.
- First, divide ham evenly into each muffin cup, about 2 tablespoons in each muffin cup followed by 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese.
- Very carefully, pour egg mixture over the filling until it just reaches the top of the muffin pan. There should be just enough egg mixture for all 12 frittatas.
- Finally, you will bake the frittatas for 20-25 minutes in a preheated 375°F oven. I use a butter knife to make sure the egg is done.
- Let the frittatas cool for only a few minutes. They come out of the pan easier when they are still very warm or you can use a silicone muffin pan for really easy removal!
- Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy!
How to Store Ham and Cheese Mini Frittatas
Storing: Store the cooled Ham and Cheese Frittatas in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezing: These egg muffins are freezer friendly making them so great for on the go breakfasts. Once the frittatas are cooled, add them to a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag between layers of wax paper. Then label, date and freeze. These will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thawing: Simply thaw the frittatas overnight in the fridge or they can also be reheated from frozen.
Reheating: Wrap 1-2 frittatas with a damp paper towel and microwave in 30 second intervals until warmed through. The same applies for reheating frozen frittatas.
FAQs About Mini Frittatas
Using dairy milk, cream or half and half with the eggs keeps the frittata fluffy. Without the milk, the frittata may be a little flatter and dense.
Omelets are typically made on top of the stove quickly in one pan, whereas frittatas can be started (but not always necessary) on the stove and finished in the oven.
Salt the frittata right before cooking. Salt draws out liquid which can result in some watery eggs. Don't let the eggs and salt sit around together, mix them and then cook right away.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes:
- Ham and Cheese Oven Omelet
- Best Ever Egg Bake
- Egg in a Hole
- Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Tator Tot Egg Bake
- Classic French Toast
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Zucchini Frittata
Ham and Cheese Mini Frittatas
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 12 muffin cup pan with non-stick spray.
- In a batter bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until completely smooth.
- Whisk in chives, salt and black pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ham to each muffin cup.
- Top ham with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Very carefully pour the egg mix over the fillings until it just reaches the top of the muffin cup. There is just enough egg mix for all 12.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the eggs are fully cooked. Use a butter knife inserted in center of frittata to ensure egg is fully cooked.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes then remove from pan. They are easier to remove when then are still very warm. Serve and enjoy!