This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This recipe for Blueberry Sweet Bread is a tender and soft quick bread that is bursting with blueberries. Super easy to make from scratch and is delicious for breakfast, snack or dessert!
This bread is so good and makes for an easy breakfast or snack. You can eat it warm, eat it cold, eat it with some butter, eat it plain, or add a simple glaze and eat it for dessert. It doesn't matter how you eat it you just need to eat it! It really is that good!
Plus, this bread is freezer friendly making it perfect as a make ahead recipe. Make a double batch and freeze a loaf for a different day. My kids love to have bread and muffins in their lunch boxes for school, so when I make breads or muffins I usually will make a double batch and freeze the extras. Happy kids equals happy mom!
This post was originally posted on 07/21/2019 and updated on 06/07/2021.
Blueberry Sweet Bread Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Lemon Juice
- Baking Powder
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Salted Butter: I prefer to use salted butter in my baked goods because I feel it brings out the sweetness better. Unsalted butter can be used, but add an extra ½ teaspoon salt to the batter.
- Lemon Juice: This really helps keep the bread soft without making it too tart. If you want more lemon flavor, add the zest of 1 lemon too.
- Whole Wheat Flour: You can use all purpose flour in place of the wheat. I like the little extra flavor the whole wheat flour gives.
- Milk: I usually bake with 2% cows milk, but any milk will work with this recipe. Almond, coconut, whole milk are all good options.
- Blueberries: Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used. If using frozen, no need to thaw them. Add them straight from the freezer and fold them in gently and quickly so the batter doesn't turn purple.
How to Make Blueberry Bread From Scratch
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Then, add eggs one at a time beating well after each egg.
- Next, beat in lemon juice until fully incorporated.
- Add the baking powder, salt, all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Mix just until it is all combined.
- Mix in the milk until everything is fully incorporated.
- Gently fold in the blueberries being careful not to break any of them.
- Spread the batter evenly into a greased or parchment lined 9x5 loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for 60-70 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes then remove and cool completely.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Tips for Blueberry Quick Bread
- Line the loaf pan with parchment paper leaving an inch over hang then spray the inside with non stick cooking spray. This way the bread will come out of the pan easily.
- Always fluff your flour before measuring. Packed flour can make the bread dense and even dry sometimes.
- Don't over mix the batter. Mix just until the ingredients have been incorporated. Over mixing will create dense and tough bread.
- Let fresh blueberries dry completely after being washed before adding to the batter.
- If you are worried about the blueberries sinking to the bottom of the bread, toss them with a teaspoon of flour before folding into the batter.
- Fold the blueberries in gently but quickly so there isn't any streaking and the batter doesn't turn purple.
- Add some course sanding sugar on top of the batter before baking to give the bread a little sweet and crunchy topping.
- Drizzle cooled bread with a simple lemon glaze and serve as a delicious dessert.
FAQs About Blueberry Bread
Frozen blueberries can be used in quick bread and muffin recipes. Add the frozen berries to the batter directly from the freezer. Then gently but quickly fold the berries into the batter to prevent any streaking and discoloring of the batter.
Wrap the cooled bread in plastic wrap and place in an air tight zip top bag or container. It will last at room temperature for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 3-4 months.
If the batter is thin the berries will tend to sink more. Toss the berries with 1 teaspoon of flour per 1 cup of berries before folding them into the batter.
Other Yummy Quick Bread Recipes:
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Apple Fritter Loaf
- Classic Zucchini Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Zucchini Bread
Blueberry Sweet Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a standard loaf pan (9x5) with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating after each addition.
- Add lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Add baking powder, salt, all purpose flour, and wheat flour. Mix just until dry ingredients are combined.
- Add milk and mix just until incorporated.
- Add blueberries and gently fold to incorporate them into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.