This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins resemble an old fashioned cake donut coated with cinnamon sugar. They are super easy to make and are great for breakfast, snack, coffee break or packed in lunches.
I have a love relationship with cake donuts. Like I really, really, really, did I say really? Love them! I prefer them over yeast donuts any day! With that said, before I had donut pans (I have some now!) I created these muffins to help give me some cake donut love! Donut muffins are a new family favorite at our house! The kids absolutely love them! I also love making them. One of my favorite things to bake is muffins and quick breads. These muffins are great served for breakfast and snacks. Plus, they are great for school lunches. The kids love having muffins for their lunch at school, which is great for me because it is simple and quick to prepare.
This post was originally posted on 4/18/2020 and updated on 1/27/2021
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins Ingredients
For the Muffins:
- Salted Butter, softened
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Milk, I use 2%
For the Topping:
Love Baking Muffins Like Me? Try these!
- Applesauce Carrot Breakfast Muffins
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Applesauce Mini Muffins
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
- Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
Step 1: Make the Batter
Get your stand mixer or hand mixer ready. Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg followed by the vanilla and mix well. Next, add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 cup of the flour. Mix on low just until incorporated. Add in half of the milk, mix on low. Then add in another cup of flour, followed by the rest of the milk and finally the last ½ cup of whole wheat flour mixing on low and only mixing until just incorporated. Be careful not to over mix the batter or the muffins will turn out too dense and not like a cake donut.
Step 2: Fill the Muffin Pan
Using a large ice cream sized scoop, drop scoops of batter evenly into a greased or lined muffin pan. Use all the batter. It will make exactly 12 muffins and the cups will be almost full. They need to be full to create the beautiful muffin tops.
Step 3: Bake the Muffins
Bake the muffins in a 400° oven for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan and remove to cool completely.
Step 4: Dip em'
Once the muffins are completely cooled, prepare the topping. Melt the butter and put into a shallow bowl. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in another shallow bowl. Take a muffin and dip the top of the muffin in the butter, followed by the cinnamon sugar. Repeat with remaining muffins. Eat and enjoy!!!
How to Freeze Muffins
If you want to freeze these muffins, place them in an air tight freezer safe container or a freezer safe zip top plastic bag. These Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins will last up to 6 months in the freezer, if they even make it that long! Take the muffins out the night before or a couple hours before needing them to thaw and then enjoy!
Try these delicious Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins with your next coffee break and let me know how much you like them in the comments below along with a star rating, please! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- ¼ cup sugar, heaping
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400° and grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 cup of flour. Mix just until incorporated.
- Add ½ cup milk, mix on low until milk is incorporated. Add 1 cup flour, mix on low and remaining milk and mix on low. Add the last ½ cup of flour and mix just until all is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Using a large scoop, scoop batter and evenly fill muffin cups until almost full. Use all the batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, remove to wire rack or counter and cool completely.
- Place melted butter in a shallow bowl.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon in another shallow bowl.
- Dip the top of the muffin in the butter, followed by the cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat with remaining muffins.
- Eat and enjoy!