This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are packed full of bright lemon flavor and the perfect amount of sweetness. They are easy to whip up and turn out soft and tender. A great little snack, addition to breakfast or packed in lunches.
I love recipes with lemon. So when I got my hands on an abundant amount of Meyer Lemons I was so ecstatic! If you are not familiar with Meyer Lemons they are a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. They're not quite as tart as lemons but still very tasty and they create a great flavor profile in baked goods.
This post was originally posted on 2/23/2017 and updated on 07/23/2021.
Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Meyer Lemons
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Poppy Seeds
- Salted Butter: I prefer to use salted butter in most of my baked goods. Unsalted butter can be used, but add an extra ¼ teaspoon of salt to the batter.
- Meyer Lemons: Now I know this recipe is a "Meyer Lemon" recipe but sometimes it can be hard to find meyer lemons. Regular lemons will work just fine in this recipe.
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour: Whole wheat flour can be substituted. The batter and muffins will just be touch darker in color.
- Buttermilk: If you don't have buttermilk you can make your own with lemon juice and milk. Or you can use plain greek yogurt or sour cream as a substitute.
How to Make Homemade Buttermilk
To make homemade buttermilk add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar per 1 cup milk. Let the milk sit for at least 5 minutes. You’ll notice the milk will look a little curdled after 5 minutes and that is exactly what you want.
How to Make Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- With a stand mixer or hand beaters, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Next, add the eggs one at a time beating well after each one.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest and mix together.
- Then mix in 1 cup of flour, baking powder and salt just until combined.
- Add the buttermilk and poppy seeds and mix until incorporated.
- Lastly, add the remaining flour and mix it just until combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the muffin batter into paper lined mini muffin pans.
- Bake the muffins at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool 3 minutes in pan and then remove to cool completely.
Can I Make these in a Regular Sized Muffin Pan?
Yes! Follow the recipe and use a large scoop and fill paper lined muffins pans ¾ full. Bake in a 350°F oven for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let muffins cool 5 minutes in pan and the remove to cool completely.
Tips for the Best Muffins
- Always fluff your flour before measuring. Then spoon it into the measuring cup and level off. This helps create fluffy muffins rather than dense ones.
- Do NOT over mix the batter, the muffins will be tough instead of tender.
- Use a scoop for filling muffin pans. This helps keep everything even and will ensure even baking throughout.
How to Store Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Store the cooled muffins in an air tight container or zip top bag at room temperature. They'll stay fresh for 3-4 days.
How to Freeze Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Once the muffins are cooled, place them in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag in between layers of wax paper. Muffins will keep fresh in the freezer for at least 4 months but even longer if frozen properly. To thaw the muffins let them sit a couple hours at room temperature.
Other Delicious Muffin Recipes:
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Applesauce Mini Muffins
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Apple Pie Muffins
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Muffins
- Applesauce Carrot Breakfast Muffins
Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line mini muffin pan with paper liners or grease well.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Add lemon juice and zest and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Add buttermilk and poppy seeds. Mix just until combined.
- Add remaining flour and mix just until combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, divide batter into mini muffin pan.
- Bake in preheated over for 10-12 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean with no batter only a few crumbs.
- Let cool in pans for 3 minutes and then remove and cool completely.