This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Bread is a healthy quick bread made easily in one bowl. Full of banana and oat flavor and with the perfect amount of sweetness, this delicious bread will be a hit in the mornings.
This is a simple recipe that is perfect for using up some ripe bananas. It can be made the morning of or the night before. Have it for breakfast and have the leftovers for an afternoon pick me up. Yes, it is good and healthy enough for snacks too! You could even slice a piece in half, slather on some peanut butter and pack if for the kids lunches.
This post was originally posted on 10/12/2015 and updated on 8/11/2021.
Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Bread Ingredients
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Baking Powder
- Quick Oats
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Pure Maple Syrup: Honey could be used as the sweetener, but maple syrup turns out the best flavor and texture.
- Brown Sugar: The brown sugar gives the bread the perfect amount of sweetness, however, you can leave this out or substitute with white sugar.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The vinegar helps lift this bread and make it more fluffy. You can used regular distilled vinegar or you can omit it. Omitting it will leave the cake a bit more dense.
- Quick Oats: I do NOT recommend using rolled oats or steel cut oats. The quick oats helps create a soft bread while adding fiber.
- Whole Wheat Flour: The wheat flour creates a great nutty flavor to the bread while adding a variety of healthy nutrients and vitamins. Unbleached all purpose flour can be substituted.
How to Make Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Bread
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, egg, maple syrup, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Whisk it together until smooth.
- To the wet ingredients stir in the cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
- Next, stir in the quick oats and whole wheat flour.
- Evenly spread the batter into a greased or parchment lined 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake the bread at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool 15 minutes before serving.
How to Store and Freeze Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Bread
Store any leftovers in an air tight container at room temperature. This bread will last 3-4 days. The breakfast bread can also be stored in the fridge, but it will dry out faster.
This delicious healthy breakfast bread freezes great. Place the cooled bread into a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag layered between wax or parchment paper if needed. Or you can individually wrap slices of the bread in plastic wrap and then place in the freezer safe containers or zip top bag. Label and date before freezing. To enjoy the bread, let it thaw a few hours at room temperature.
Tips for Healthy Oatmeal Banana Bread
- The riper the banana the better, that way all the natural sugars have developed. However, if the banana is completely black and starting to mold, throw it out.
- Don't over mix, stir it just until the flour has been fully combined.
- To make the bread extra pretty, add some rolled oats on top before baking.
Other Recipes with Bananas:
- Banana Belgian Waffles
- Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Banana Scones
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Muffins
- Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies
- Banana Cake
- Crumb Topped Banana Bread
- Banana Nut Bars
Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or parchment line a 8x8 baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl combine bananas, egg, maple syrup, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Stir in the cinnamon, salt, baking powder with the wet ingredients.
- Add the quick oats and wheat flour, stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Optional: Sprinkle top with rolled oats for a pretty look.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let bread cool for 15 minutes then serve and enjoy!