This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Easy French Toast Mini Donuts are cake like donuts filled with cinnamon and maple flavors. They are incredibly fast to make using a mini donut maker and make a perfect snack or school lunch item.
I've been using my donut maker more and more recently. The kids love having these for snacks and with breakfast, and I don't feel bad letting them eat these donuts. My French Toast Mini Donuts are a healthy option to a sweet treat. These donuts are a cinch to make and are ready in minutes. Plus, they freeze great so you can make a double or triple batch and keep some in the freezer for later.
This post was originally posted on 10/5/2020 and updated on 10/21/2021.
French Toast Mini Donuts Ingredients
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Powder
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Salted Butter
- Whole Wheat Flour: You can substitute with all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour. I like to use whole wheat flour because it is a bit more healthier and it gives a slight nutty flavor to baked items. I was going for a slightly healthier donut version for this recipe and that is why I chose to use whole wheat flour, but you can use the flour you have on hand.
- Milk: Any type of milk can be used in these donuts. I like to use 2% or whole cows milk.
- Pure Maple Syrup: This recipe calls for PURE Maple Syrup not pancake syrup. The syrup is what gives these donuts the classic French toast flavor. You can substitute with honey if preferred.
- Salted Butter: Unsalted butter can be used, but I recommend adding an extra ¼ teaspoon of salt to the batter. You can also use canola oil or melted coconut oil.
How to Make Easy French Toast Mini Donuts
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar and pinch of salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Then add the beaten egg, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and melted butter. Whisk it all together just until everything is combined.
- The easiest way to make the donuts, is to add the batter to a zip top bag and use it as a piping bag. Snip about a ½ inch off the corner of the bag and squeeze the batter into the greased donut maker or donut pan. You can also use a tablespoon and add the batter in the well of the donut maker.
- Close the lid on the donut maker and let the donuts bake. My donut maker takes about 3 minutes, but follow the instructions on your donut maker.
- When the donuts are done, remove them to a sheet pan or wire rack and let them cool completely before storing.
How to Make Mini Donuts without a Donut Maker
If you don't have a little mini donut maker these mini donuts can still be made. First, you can use mini donut pans and bake them in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 350°F.
Second, you can make your own donut pan using a muffin pan. Simply put a ball of aluminum foil in the middle of greased muffin cups and pipe or spoon the batter around the ball. Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
Lastly, you can use mini muffin pans and make them into donut holes. Scoop the batter into greased mini muffin pans and bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes. All these ways create the same pumpkin deliciousness.
Glazed or Plain Donuts?
I personally leave the donuts plain because they are just so good that way, and they make perfect lower sugary snacks for the kids. However, you can add a simple glaze if you like.
Glaze: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of milk or pure maple syrup and a ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract. Whisk it up good and drizzle over the donuts, or dunk the tops and place on wire racks until set. You could also had a smidge of cinnamon in the glaze to keep the theme of flavors going.
Storing French Toast Mini Donuts
Storing: Store cooled donuts in an air tight container or zip top bag on the counter at room temperature for 4-5 days. However, I doubt there will be any left that long.
Freezing: These donuts freeze great! Make a double batch and freeze them to have them on hand for quick snacks, breakfast, treats or to pack in the kids lunches. Place cooled donuts in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag between layers of wax paper then, label, date and freeze for up to 4 months.
Thawing: Let the donuts sit on the counter for a few hours until ready to enjoy. I like to place the frozen donuts in the kids lunches. By the time lunch comes around they are thawed and ready to eat.
More Family Friendly Snacks:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Mini Pumpkin Donuts
- Banana Scones
- Monster Cookie Protein Bites
- Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- Chocolate Mini Donuts
- Chickpea Peanut Butter Bites
- Peanut Butter Apple Sandwiches
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bites
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Muffins
French Toast Mini Donuts
- In a large bowl, whisk together the wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Make a well in the middle.
- Then add the beaten egg, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and melted butter. Whisk it until it is just combined.
- Add the batter to a zip top bag or piping bag and snip the corner.
- Pipe batter into a greased donut maker and close the lid.
- Bake for 3 minutes or follow your maker's instructions.
- Remove and let cool completely on sheet pan or wire rack before storing.