This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Soft and tender Chocolate Sour Cream Baked Donuts are for all the chocolate lovers out there! A simple and quick recipe to get some use out of your donut pan!
I don't think I've ever had a donut I didn't like. However, I am partial to cake donuts. They are my favorite donut. So it only makes sense that I would find some donut pans at a thrift store, they were totally calling my name! My hubby and I find lots of treasures at thrift stores, but the donut pans have got to be my favorite at the moment.
Not only do I love cake donuts, I love chocolate! What better way to express my love of both than with these Chocolate Sour Cream Baked Donuts. This recipe is so easy. The batter is made all in one bowl and they only take 12 minutes to bake. Plus, they taste like chocolate cake! Let's make some donuts!
How To Make Chocolate Sour Cream Baked Donuts
Ingredients Needed To Make Donuts
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee or espresso granules
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
Instructions To Make Baked Donuts
Start out by preheating your oven to 350° and grease your donut pans with non stick spray.
Now, using a spoon, piping bag or zip top bag, fill the donut pans ¾ full. This recipe will make 8-9 donuts. I most always use a zip top bag. Fold the top of the bag over and add the batter to the bag. Squeeze the batter down to one corner of the bag, then snip the corner of the bag, twist the top like a pastry bag, and pipe the batter into the donut pans. Works like a charm!
Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and donuts spring back. Let the donuts cool in the pans for 5 minutes then remove them and place on a wire rack to cool completely or eat warm, whichever your chocolate loving heart wants to do! I do both!
Once cooled you can add a simple glaze. To make glaze, whisk together: powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Dip the donuts into the glaze and top with sprinkles.
If you are a fan of chocolate donuts and love chocolate, you might like some of these other recipes!
After you try these Chocolate Sour Cream Baked Donuts let me know how much you loved them in the comments below! Photos on Instagram encouraged using the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing!
Pin the recipe for later!
Chocolate Sour Cream Baked Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease donut pans with non stick spray.
- In a large batter or mixing bowl, whisk together: sour cream, canola oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, and instant coffee.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, flour and pinch salt. Whisk until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Using a spoon, piping bag or zip top bag, fill the donut pans ¾ full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and donuts spring back.
- Let cool in pans for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Dip cooled donuts in glaze and top with sprinkles.