This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This French Toast Casserole is a decadent breakfast that takes French toast to a whole new level with its streusel topping. It is a perfect make ahead option that is glorious enough for weekend brunches or celebrations.
Ok, we all know that French Toast is my favorite breakfast food. This casserole has tied as my favorite. It has all the wonderful flavors of classic French toast, but amped up with a sweet streusel topping that takes this breakfast dish over the top. Plus, it makes mornings easy by prepping the casserole the night before, and then popping it in the oven after you wake. Delicious enough to serve to company and fancy enough for special holiday mornings.
What is French Toast Casserole?
If you like classic French Toast then you will love this casserole. It is made from cubed French bread left to soak overnight in an eggy and creamy custard with cinnamon. Then topped with a brown sugar streusel topping and baked to sweet golden perfection. Basically this casserole is French toast baked in casserole form. All the flavors of the classic breakfast dish, but made with more decadence from the addition of the streusel topping.
French Toast Casserole Ingredients
- French Bread Loaf
- Heavy Cream
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Brown Sugar
How to Make the Best French Toast Casserole
Step 1: Cube Bread
Cut the large loaf of French bread into 1 inch cubes. Try it with my Homemade French Bread Recipe. Place cubes in a greased 9x13 casserole dish. The loaf should yield anywhere from 8-9 cups of cubes. You want enough to fill a 9x13 baking dish almost to the top but leaving enough room for the custard.
Step 2: Make Custard
Step 3: Assemble Casserole.
Pour the custard evenly over the bread cubes. Gently push the cubes into the custard. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 8-10 hours, or overnight. Overnight is the best option!
Step 3: Make Streusel
Step 4: Sleep!
Sleep while the casserole is hanging out with the leftovers and ketchup in the fridge.
Step 5: Bake Casserole
Uncover the casserole and evenly sprinkle the streusel topping on top. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 45-60 minutes. For more softer texture bake close to the 45 minute mark, for a more firmer texture bake closer to 60 minutes.
Step 6: Rest and Enjoy!
Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes. Then slice and serve!
- Warm Pure Maple Syrup
- Powdered Sugar
- Fresh Berries & Fruit
- Compound Butters
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Candied Pecans
- Caramel Sauce
More Company Worthy Breakfast Ideas
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Strawberries & Cream Stuffed French Toast
- Zucchini Frittata
- Chocolate Chip Waffles
- Favorite French Toast
- Best Ever Egg Bake
- Banana Belgian Waffles
- Biscuits & Sausage Country Gravy
- Ham & Cheese Oven Omelet
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
- Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Mini Ham Frittatas
- Sausage Gravy Breakfast Enchiladas
Give yourself, your family, or your company a delicious and sweet breakfast with this French Toast Casserole recipe and let me know how much everyone enjoys it in the comments below! Please add a star rating too! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
French Toast Casserole
- Cube the bread loaf into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the cubed bread to a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth.
- Add milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to eggs and whisk to combine.
- Pour egg and milk mixture over bread cubes.
- Gently push the bread down into the custard.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or tight fitting lid and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in the softened butter until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Cover bowl and place in fridge with casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover casserole and sprinkle streusel topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes. Bake less for a softer texter and longer for a firmer texture.
- Let casserole rest for 10 minutes and the slice and serve with desired toppings.