The easiest and fastest way to get perfect rice is with this Instant Pot Rice Recipe. Foolproof method for fluffy white rice every time! The easiest hands off side dish that you'll be making over and over again.
This post was originally posted on 2/1/2021 and updated on 6/22/2022.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This recipe is going to change your life! No more standing in front of a pot, and ending up with hard, burnt, or mushy rice. I have done all the testing for you, so you can get out that pressure cooker and just set it and forget it until dinner time! You will not want to make rice any other way after this. Who knew rice could be so exciting!
Instant Pot White Rice Ingredients
- Olive Oil: Any neutral oil will work such as: avocado, canola, or vegetable.
- Long Grain White Rice: Basmati is also a long grain rice and will use the same method as this recipe.
- Water: You can use any type of broth you like to add more flavor to the rice.
Get ready to make the easiest side dish that is basically effortless.
Hot to Cook Rice in the Instant Pot
- Add some oil to the bottom of the pot. This will help prevent any sticking.
- Then add the long grain rice, pinch salt and water. Do not stir. I got better results when I didn't stir. The key to making the best rice in the Instant Pot is the water to rice ratio. This is important to get the perfect fluffy texture you want in rice.
- Secure the lid on the pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Set the pot to Manual High Pressure for 5 minutes.
- Let the pot do a natural release, until the pin has dropped. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork.
How Much Rice Can be Cooked
This will all depend on the size of your Instant Pot. I cook for 6 and will make 2 cups of rice, which yields about 6 cups. However, if you want more for leftovers you can double or triple the recipe. Just make sure you account for the expansion of the rice and it does not go over the fill line. A 6 qt will handle up to 4 cups uncooked rice equaling about 12 cups of cooked rice.
Can I use the Rice Button on my Instant Pot?
I tested the rice button versus the manual button, the best results came from using the manual function. The rice button is designed just for long grain white rice, it takes a bit longer, and the rice was not as fluffy. You can use that function, however after all the testing, I prefer using the manual function.
Does This Method Work on Other Rice?
Yes! This method works for all rice. Same 1:1 ratio, the timing will just be different. White rice and Basmati are both long grain and use this exact method. Jasmine is a little shorter grain and will only need 3 minutes on high pressure with a natural release. Brown Rice and Wild Rice are tougher grains and take longer, 15 minutes high pressure with natural release.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Rice
- Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken
- Baked Cumin Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
- Turkey & Zucchini Meatballs
- Crock Pot Whole Chicken
FAQs About Instant Pot White Rice
The ratio is 1:1. For every cup of rice you need one cup of water. It doesn't matter how much rice you make, the ratio stays the same. There is a trick to this: Use the same measuring cup for the rice and the water. This will ensure precise measuring, and perfectly fluffy rice every time.
Set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 5 minutes and let it do a natural pressure release. This time stays the same for any amount of white rice you're cooking in the Instant Pot.
The amount of time it takes rice to cook once up to pressure is 5 minutes. However, the time it takes to come to pressure will depend on the amount of rice that is in the pot. The more rice, the longer it will take. Same goes for the natural pressure release. The more rice, the longer it will take to release pressure.
No. Many people suggest it, to clear away some of the starch. I tested this recipe both ways and I honestly could not tell a difference between rinsed rice and not rinsed rice. You do what you feel most comfortable with.
Other Delicious Instant Pot Recipes:
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- Pulled Pork
- Chicken Stew
- Beef Tips with Gravy
- Mashed Potatoes
- Split Pea Soup
- Drip Beef Sandwiches
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
Instant Pot Rice Recipe
- Add oil to bottom of the instant pot.
- Add the rice and salt.
- Pour water over everything and then do not stir.
- Add lid and set valve to sealing.
- Set to high pressure for 5 minutes, and allow a natural release.
- Once the pin drops, remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork.