This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Crock Pot Whole Chicken is the easiest and tastiest way to have a rotisserie style chicken with very little work. A very simple dinner where the crock pot is doing all the work.
The easiest, juiciest, tastiest chicken ever! This chicken is a great asset to your dinner menu list! My kids and husband love it! Not only is it easy, but you get more than one meal out of it. Use the leftover chicken for Chicken Cobb Salad, Chicken & Noodles or Chicken Wild Rice Soup. Plus, I have included instructions below for Homemade Chicken Broth.
I love my crock pot! I use it all year round for an easy, quick, no hassle meal on days that I'm super busy, which is usually a lot. Who isn't, right? Many wins with this recipe so lets get to it!
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Ingredients
- Whole Chicken: If needed you can use cut up fryer chicken, bone in skin on chicken breasts or leg quarters.
- Spices: This is typically what is on rotisserie style chicken. However, you can totally make this chicken your own, by using your favorite spices. I have used 21 Spice Salute from Trader Joe's, Italian Seasoning, Lemon Pepper and Taco Seasoning to switch things up and to use the chicken for a variety of recipes. They were all delicious!
How to Make a Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot
- Combine all spices in a bowl.
- Place sliced onions in bottom of crock.
- Place chicken on top of onions.
- Sprinkle seasoning mix on top of chicken and rub underneath skin of the chicken breast area.
- Cook on low 6-7 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Carefully remove chicken from crock pot, let it rest 10-15 minutes before carving and serving.
Tips for Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- No water or broth is needed with this recipe. There is enough liquid in the chicken that will keep this crock pot chicken super tender and delicious.
- If you want to crisp the skin, carefully remove the chicken from the crock pot and place on a rimmed sheet pan. Spray the top with olive oil and place under broiler until skin is crisp and golden brown.
- Add more vegetables like potatoes and carrots under the chicken and enjoy a side dish with the chicken.
- Do NOT rinse the chicken in your sink, you risk contaminating your kitchen with dangerous bacteria.
- Use the chicken carcass and juices left in the crock pot to make homemade chicken stock.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Stock in Crock Pot
- Put the carcass (bones, herbs, onions, spices) back in the crock pot with a quartered onion, 2 celery stalks and 2 carrots both roughly chopped, and a bay leaf.
- Add enough water to cover everything and leave about an inch or two of space at the top.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. I start mine right before I go to bed and let it cook overnight.
- Once the stock is done, strain it through a mesh strainer to remove all the bones and veggie remains.
- After it is cooled, refrigerate or freeze the finished stock in freezer safe containers.
FAQ About Crock Pot Whole Chicken
This all depends on the size of your chicken and whether it is fresh or frozen. Typically in the crock pot you can fully cook chicken on high for 3-5 hours and low 6-8 hours. To make sure the chicken is fully cook stick an instant read thermometer to the thickest part of the chicken, the chicken is fully cooked when the thermometer reads 165°F.
Yes, the crock pot will cook the chicken long enough and hot enough to kill all bacteria. To make sure the chicken is safe and fully cooked, use a thermometer. The chicken is fully cooked at 165°F.
This depends on the cut of chicken you are using and the recipe you are making. When making this whole chicken, I prefer to cook the chicken on low. I feel it is more tender and juicy.
With this recipe, no. There is a lot of natural juices in the chicken that keep it tender and juicy while cooking.
More Delicious Crock Pot Recipes:
- White Chicken Chili
- Ham & Potato Soup
- Beef Bolognese
- Iowa Maid Rites
- Beef Stew
- Easy Three Bean Chili
- Pizza Chicken
- Busy Day Steak
- Beef Barley Stew
- Pizza Joes
Crock Pot Chicken
- Combine all spices in a bowl and mix together.
- Place sliced onions in bottom of your crock pot.
- Place chicken on top of onions, breast side up.
- Sprinkle seasonings all over chicken and rub underneath the skin.
- Cook on low 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours until internal temperature is 165°F.
- Gently take the chicken out and place on a cutting board. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve the chicken or pull the meat from the bones.