This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Crock Pot Pizza Joes is an easy set it and forget recipe that is full of all your favorite pizza flavors. A family favorite sandwich with a pizza twist!
Do you love pizza? I mean in all reality, who doesn't love pizza? I love pizza! My kids love pizza! My hubby definitely loves pizza! As much as I love homemade pizza, if I'm out of homemade dough in the freezer it's a process to make more when I'm in a pinch, or when I've just gotten home late from running my kiddos around to all their after school activities. So I created a pizza sloppy joe! The wonderful flavors of pizza, on a bun, that is ready when I walk in the door! These sandwiches are a huge family winner!
This post was originally posted on 03/09/2017 and updated on 05/10/2021.
Crock Pot Pizza Joes Ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Crushed tomatoes
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Black pepper
- Pepperoni Slices
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Sandwich Buns
- Ground Beef: Feel free to use ground turkey, chicken or even venison. All work well with this recipe. You could also do half beef and half Italian sausage.
- Crushed Tomatoes: If you like you can use a store bought jar of pizza sauce or plain tomato sauce. I prefer starting with a blank slate that I can flavor myself.
- Pepperoni: Add your favorite pizza toppings! Diced onions, green peppers, mushrooms, black olives are all good add ins.
How to Make Pizza Joes in the Slow Cooker
- Brown beef in a skillet until no longer pink, then add it to the crock pot.
- To the beef add: crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut the pepperoni slices into quarters and stir them in with the beef and tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add ½ cup of mozzarella cheese to the pizza joes mix and stir it in until its melted.
- Spoon mix on toasted or warmed buns and top with additional shredded mozzarella and pepperoni slices.
How to Make Pizza Joes on the Stove Top
- Brown the beef over medium heat in a deep skillet until no longer pink.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, seasonings, and chopped pepperoni slices.
- Bring the mix to a bubble then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or so.
- Stir in ½ cup shredded cheese until melted.
- Serve on buns with extra shredded mozzarella and pepperoni slices.
How to Store and Freeze Pizza Joes
Store any leftover pizza joes in an air tight container in the fridge. Will stay fresh in fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove over low heat or in the microwave.
Make a double batch in the crock pot and freeze the extra! This is a great way to have a quick meal ready at a moments notice. Let the meat mixture completely cool and add it to a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag. Label and date, then freeze. This will last in the freezer for 3-4 months.
What to Serve with Pizza Joes
I like to keep it super simple and serve a side salad with these sandwiches. Some more delicious options are: potato chips, Oven Fries, Roasted Potatoes, Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower, Fruit Salad, and raw veggies with dip.
FAQs About Crock Pot Pizza Joes
Yes, the meat mixture will be a bit more loose but you can use it. I like to use crushed tomatoes for more body, texture and a thicker sauce.
Absolutely, if you prefer use your favorite pizza sauce. I like to start with a blank canvas with the crushed tomatoes so I can flavor to my own liking.
Yes you can, however I prefer to brown my beef before hand so the meat can create a caramelization texture and so the meat is already crumbled.
More Easy Family Winning Crock Pot Recipes:
- Crock Pot Whole Chicken
- Iowa Maid Rites
- White Chicken Chili
- Busy Day Steak
- Crock Pot Pizza Chicken
- Beef Bolognese
- Ham & Potato Soup
- Beef Stew
- Split Pea Soup
- Easy 3 Bean Chili
Crock Pot Pizza Joes
- Brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain if needed.
- Add beef to crock pot.
- Add tomatoes, seasonings, salt & pepper to your liking.
- Stir in pepperoni quarters.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Sprinkle ½ cup cheese over meat mix, stir to incorporate.
- Spoon about ½ cup of meat mix onto buns.
- Add some extra shredded mozzarella and pepperoni slices.