This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Crock Pot Ham & Potato Soup is an easy recipe that is family friendly and perfect for a cold winter days! It's creamy, comforting and the best set it and forget it recipe!
It's pretty chilly up North in the fall and winter months, and this soup is always a favorite to warm us all up! It is a perfect way to use up some leftover ham and ham bone or hock. Don't ever throw that bone away! It adds so much flavor to your dish! Plus, it's a great dinner recipe to prep quickly in the morning, dump in the crock pot, and enjoy after a full days work.
Read below for some amazing prep tips to keep your morning running smooth and getting dinner done too!
This post was originally posted on 2/03/2015 and updated on 2/15/2021
Easy Crock Pot Ham & Potato Soup Ingredients
- Ham Bone, optional
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Sour Cream
Ham & Potato Soup Substitution Suggestions
- Potatoes: I suggest using Russet or Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe, but any potato would work.
- Ham Bone: Using a ham bone or hock is completely optional. If you have one leftover, use it. It will add such a depth of flavor you didn't know you needed.
- Milk: I use 2% cows milk for this recipe, you can use whichever type of milk you normally drink. Even cream would be a good substitute, it will make the soup a bit more rich and creamy.
- Sour Cream: Substituting plain Greek yogurt works well with this recipe.
How to Make Ham & Potato Soup in the Slow Cooker
- Add the diced potatoes, onions, carrots, ham, ham bone, parsley, thyme, black pepper and chicken broth all in the crock pot. Stir it up to combine everything.
- Cook the soup on low for 8 hours or high 4 hours. I have tested both times and both turn out well with perfectly tender, not mushy potatoes.
- Stir in the milk and sour cream.
Tips for Easy Crock Pot Ham & Potato Soup
- Wait to season the soup with salt until it is done cooking. Ham and the ham bone will add a lot of salt to the soup. Taste it when it's finished, if it needs a little more, season it then.
- Cut the potatoes all the same size, 1½ inch cubes work well. This ensures even cooking.
- Prep the ingredients the night before to make the morning super easy. To prevent the potatoes from turning brown, submerge them into a bowl of water. Cover the bowl and place in fridge overnight. Next morning, dump water, and add potatoes to the crock pot. No need to peel potatoes and chop everything when you are trying to get out the door in the morning.
How to thicken Ham & Potato Soup?
To thicken this soup, ladle out 3 cups of soup once it's done cooking and mash it or blend it with a blender or immersion blender. I normally just use a potato masher and mash it, works well. Pour the soup back into the crock pot and stir it together. This creates a thicker soup without altering any flavors.
Can you put raw potatoes in the crock pot?
Absolutely! That's the great thing about crock pots and slow cookers. It does all the work for you! No need to spend extra time cooking the potatoes beforehand, ultimately it would create a mushy mess with this recipe.
FAQ About Crock Pot Ham & Potato Soup
I recommend Russet and Yukon Gold potatoes. They hold up the best in soups and stews.
Cool the soup completely and store in an air tight container in the fridge, for 3-4 days.
Yes, freezing soup is a great meal prep and make ahead option. Cool the soup completely, add to air tight freezer safe containers, jars or zip top bags. Freeze the bags flat and then store up right, it helps with freezer space. Soup will last 3-4 months in the freezer. To thaw, take out the night before and thaw in the fridge.
More Delicious Soup Recipes:
- Baked Potato Soup
- Easy 3 Bean Chili
- Chicken & Potato Stew
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with crock pot directions too!
- Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Pizza Soup
Crock Pot Ham & Potato Soup
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and diced (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 ham bone or hock, optional
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk, any type will do, I use 2%
- ½ cup sour cream , or plain Greek yogurt
- Add potatoes, onion, carrots, ham, ham bone/hock, parsley, thyme, pepper and broth to a large crock pot.
- Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
- Stir in milk and sour cream.
- If you would like it a bit thicker, ladle out 3 cups of soup and mash it or blend it, then stir it back into the soup.
Leave a Reply