This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Crock Pot Beef Stew is a comforting and hearty meal filled with tender chunks of beef, a ton of veggies and a rich and flavorful broth. Let the crock pot do all the cooking and enjoy the delicious end result!
Who doesn't love a good beef stew? It is just so comforting on these cooler days. When you allow the crock pot to do almost all the work for you, the outcome is melt in your mouth beef chunks, tender veggies and the most flavorful rich broth that is marrying it all together. Plus, you get a fully cooked meal ready to eat when you get home! When you are craving some comfort food on a chilly day, give this beef stew a try!
Ingredients for Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Frozen Corn
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Beef Broth
- Salt and Pepper
Can I use already cut stew meat instead of chuck roast?
Absolutely! Most stew meat in grocery stores is cut up chuck or round extras.
Do I have to use Russet Potatoes?
Nope, you can use any potato you have on hand. You can make it more rustic and use baby reds cut in half with the skin on or you can use Yukon Gold too. Any potato will work.
How to Make Beef Stew in the Crock Pot
Step 1: Flavor the Beef
Cut the beef roast into 1 inch cubes. Add the beef to a plastic zip top bag with the flour, and some salt and pepper. Shake to coat all the beef. Melt the butter in a skillet and then add the beef. Don't overcrowd the pan, you may need to work in batches. Brown the beef on all sides and then place the beef in the crock pot. Repeat until all the beef is browned.
Step 2: Deglaze the Skillet
Add ½ cup of the broth into the skillet and scrape all the bits off the bottom of the skillet. Then pour it all into the crock pot with the beef.
Step 3: Make Beef Stew
Add all the remaining ingredients to the crock pot, stir it up. Set the crock on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy!
Serve the stew with some buttered bread and a side salad or some of my Easy Drop Biscuits.
Tips for Making the Best and Easy Beef Stew
- Cut all the veggies about the same size as the beef. This will help the veggies turn out tender and not mush. No one likes a mushy beef stew.
- Do not skip browning the beef. It adds so much flavor to the stew.
- Save time in the morning and cut all your veggies the night before. Yes, even the potatoes. Cut the potatoes add them to a bowl of water and place them in the fridge. They won't be brown in the morning. Drain the water before adding to the crock pot.
- Save even more time in the morning and brown the beef the night before too.
- Save the most time in the morning and prepare the entire stew the night before. Place it all in the crock pot liner and then in the fridge overnight and cook it in the morning.
- When buying a roast, buy a boneless roast. It makes it much easier to cut up.
- You can cook the stew on high for 4 hours, but I recommend cooking on low. It makes the beef much more melt in your mouth tender.
More Crock Pot Recipes You'll Love
- Beef Bolognese
- Iowa Maid Rites
- Busy Day Steak
- Whole Chicken
- Split Pea Soup
- Baked Beans
- Easy 3 Bean Chili
- Pizza Joes
- Ham & Potato Soup
Give yourself an easy night dinner and try this comforting and cozy Crock Pot Beef Stew. Tell me how much you enjoyed it in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Crock Pot Beef Stew
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large russet potatoes, about 1½ pounds
- 2 large carrots, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 15 oz diced tomatoes, try garlic & basil, so good!
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- ½ teaspoon thyme, dried
- Salt & Pepper , to taste
- In a zip top bag add the beef, flour, salt and pepper. Shake to coat all the beef.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, then add the beef. Don't overcrowd the pan, work in batches if needed. Brown the beef on all sides then add to the crock pot.
- Add ½ cup of the broth to the skillet to de glaze it and scrape all the bits off the bottom. Add it all to the crock pot with the beef.
- Add all the veggies, remaining broth and spices to the crock pot. Give it a good stir.
- Set the crock pot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.