This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Quick and easy is the name of the game when it comes to this Easy Tomato Soup. Simple ingredients you most likely have on hand with a creamy and flavorful outcome that is ready in under 30 minutes. A perfect recipe for busy weeknights!
This post was originally posted on 3/31/2020 and updated on 1/20/2022.
This Easy Homemade Tomato Soup is also great for the nights your dinner plan is squashed because you forgot to pull your meat out of the freezer (I'm completely guilty of this on many occasions). Or make it if you want to have a lighter, meat-free dinner. Or you can skip all that and make it for a quick and easy lunch. Just like when I was a kid, pair it with a decadent grilled cheese sandwich. Does lunch or dinner get any better than that?
Easy Tomato Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Dried Basil
- Dried Parsley
- Black Pepper
- Heavy Cream
- Olive Oil: Any neutral oil like: avocado, canola, vegetable or grapeseed can be subbed.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Canned whole tomatoes can be used. Slightly crush them with your hands or a potato masher.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes: original diced tomatoes or garlic basil diced tomatoes can be used. For a little extra spice you can used diced tomatoes with green chilies too.
- Honey: Sugar or brown sugar can be used. This helps break down some of the acidity from the tomatoes.
- Herbs: you can sub with fresh herbs, remember 1 teaspoon of dry is equal to 1 tablespoon of fresh.
- Heavy Cream: Any milk can be used. For a little more tang you could also use a little sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
How to Make Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, honey, basil, parsley, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Bring soup to a low bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, ladle the soup into a blender and carefully blend in batches until smooth. Or if you like a more chunky soup there is no need to blend, just leave it as is.
- Stir in heavy cream and enjoy!
What to Serve with Easy Tomato Soup
My kids love to garnish their homemade tomato soup with goldfish crackers and extra cream. You could also garnish with some fresh herbs, store bought or homemade croutons, your favorite cracker or shredded cheese.
You can't really have tomato soup without a grilled cheese sandwich. We really love my gourmet Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese.
Or keep it simple and meat free and add a green side salad, or a delicious Caesar salad.
Storing Homemade Tomato Soup
Storing: Stored cooled leftover tomato soup in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezing: This soup is very freezer friendly. Add the cooled soup into a freezer safe air tight container or bag, label, date and freeze. It will last 3-4 months in the freezer. When ready to use, thaw soup overnight in the fridge.
Reheating: Reheat the easy tomato soup on the stove over low heat or in the microwave until warmed through.
FAQs About Easy Tomato Soup
Best way to add a punch of flavor is with fresh herbs like: basil, thyme or parsley. You can also add a drizzle of garlic olive oil or pesto, or some fresh spinach or chopped kale.
Adding milk is a personal preference. Adding heavy cream or milk makes for a richer and creamier soup.
Best way to thicken tomato soup without altering the flavor is to let it simmer until it has reduced a bit and thickened. For a quicker thickening option, you can whisk together 1 tablespoon corn starch with 1 tablespoon water and add it to the simmering soup. It should thicken within a few minutes.
Other Easy Soup Recipes:
- Crock Pot Chicken Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Crock Pot Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Easy Chicken Taco Soup
- Easy Cheeseburger Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crock Pot Beef Barley Stew
- Ground Turkey Chili
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Easy Three Bean Chili
Easy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 29 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, two 14.5 oz cans undrained
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a dutch oven or large pot, sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté another minute until fragrant.
- Add water, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, honey, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender until smooth, or leave the soup as is.
- Stir in heavy cream and enjoy!