This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup is a creamy one pot wonder filled with Italian sausage, potatoes, kale and cream. An easy homemade soup that is insanely delicious!
Zuppa Toscana means "Tuscan Soup" and traditionally the soup is made using kale, white beans, potatoes, sometimes Italian bacon, and served over toasted bread. Americans created a more decadent and rich version by adding sausage and cream, most commonly seen at Olive Garden.
My version of Zuppa Toscana Soup is definitely rich from the cream and decadent from the silky potatoes and flavorful Italian sausage. I kept the recipe simple but delicious, so it can be whipped up any day of the week. This comforting soup will become a family favorite in no time!
Zuppa Toscana Ingredients
- Ground Italian Sausage
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Fresh Kale
- Salt & Pepper
- Ground Italian Sausage: You can use mild or hot Italian sausage, or you can use ground turkey or chicken. The Italian sausage can also be substituted with Cannelini Beans to keep the dish vegetarian.
- Chicken Broth: Substitute with Vegetable broth to keep the soup vegetarian.
- Potatoes: Russet potatoes work best for this recipe, but you can substitute with red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes. Any of those work well in soups. Also, I choose to peel my potatoes, but the potato skin can be kept on for quicker prep time.
- Heavy Cream: Substitute the heavy cream with half and half or whole milk.
How to Make Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, cook the sausage and onions together until sausage is no longer pink and the onions are translucent, drain any excess grease.
- Next, stir in the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is really fragrant.
- Finally, add the potatoes, salt and pepper and chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender which takes about 15-20 minutes.
- To finish the soup, stir in the cream and let warm through.
- Then, remove the soup from heat and stir in chopped kale.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can you freeze Zuppa Toscana Soup?
Yes. I always freeze my leftover soups. Place the cooled soup in air tight freezer safe containers, jars or zip top bags. This soup will last 2-3 months in the freezer.
To thaw frozen Zuppa Toscana Soup: take out the night before and thaw in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
FAQ About Zuppa Toscana Soup
It is a soup served as an appetizer or first course option made of sausage, kale, potatoes swimming in a creamy broth.
A 1½ cup serving size has about 376 calories in it.
More Comforting Soup Recipes:
- Chicken & Potato Stew
- Easy 3 Bean Chili
- Crock Pot Ham & Potato Soup
- Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Baked Potato Soup
- Split Pea Soup
- Pizza Soup
- Chicken Dumpling Soup
Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled & cut into bite size pieces (about 7-8 medium potatoes)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10 oz kale, cut into bite size pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, brown the Italian sausage and onions together over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are translucent.
- Discard any excess grease.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes until it is really fragrant.
- Stir in the potatoes, chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream until warmed through.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in the kale.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Leave a Reply