This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce is so flavorful, hearty and is done when the pasta is done. A perfect weeknight dinner staple that the whole family is going to love.
Pasta is one of my most favorite things to eat, other than desserts. I don't think I could ever give up pasta, I love it that much. My family happens to be a pretty big fan of pasta too. If you have a pasta loving family like mine, then this recipe is a must in your collection. It is so easy, comes together quick and will be ready when the pasta is done. Get out those napkin bibs and lets eat some spaghetti!
Ingredients for Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- Ground Beef
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Bay Leaf
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Tomato Paste
- San Marzano Plum Tomatoes
What if I can't find San Marzano tomatoes?
No worries, you can substitute another variety of canned plum tomatoes or use your favorite crushed tomatoes. I have a hard time finding them where I am at, but when I do I stock up! I usually find them on the bottom shelf by the other canned plum tomatoes when I can find them.
Canned Tomato Paste vs. Tomato Paste in a Tube
Either variety of these tomato pastes will work for this simple sauce recipe. I prefer to buy tomato paste in a tube and here is why:
- Most of the time I don't need 6 oz of tomato paste for a recipe and storing the leftovers from the tube is much easier.
- Most tubes of tomato paste are made in Italy, and there is also a sun dried tomato blend available in the tube and not the can.
- The leftover paste in the tube will last longer in the fridge.
- Tomato paste in a can has a much more cooked taste, whereas the tubed kind has more tomato flavor which in the end is what you want in a tomato sauce recipe.
How to Make Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce
This spaghetti sauce recipe is the only one you will ever need. So simple, so flavorful and the aroma it sends through your house will make the entire family drool.
Step 1: Cook Beef
In a large sauce pot, brown the beef until no longer pink. Drain any grease.
Step 2: Create the Flavors
Add the oil and garlic. Cook the beef and garlic until it is really fragrant. Now add the tomato paste and spices and cook a minute or two to wake everything up and blend it all together.
Step 3: Make it a Sauce
Add the canned tomatoes to the pot and use a wooden spoon to break them up (or you can use your hands, I don't that often). Stir it all together and simmer for 30 minutes.
Step 4: Serve it over your favorite pasta.
To make this meal come together all at the same time, put your pot of water on the stove to boil before you start the sauce. About half way through the simmer, add your pasta to the boiling water. Cooked according to package directions and then drain the pasta. In my house, I do not serve naked pasta. It is dressed with sauce and before I add the sauce, I toss it with Parmesan Cheese. Remove the bay leaf and add the desired amount of sauce to the pasta and toss to coat. Serve the pasta with extra sauce, Parmesan Cheese and Easy Peasy Garlic Bread. Now get on that napkin bib and dig in!
More Pasta Dishes to Make you Happy!
- Baked Rigatoni Casserole
- Crock Pot Beef Bolognese
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Shells
- Baked Penne Casserole
- Ground Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff
- Taco Pasta Skillet
- Instant Pot Mac-N-Cheese
- Cheesy Spaghetti Bake
Fill your kitchen with the best aroma and make your family happy with this Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce. Try it and let me know how much you enjoyed it in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- ½ teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 bay leaf, dried or fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch red pepper flakes, add more if you want more heat
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2- 28 oz cans San Marzano tomatoes, or any plum tomato or crushed tomatoes
- Brown beef in a large pot until no longer pink, drain any grease.
- Add extra virgin olive oil and garlic. Cool for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste and spices. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and use a wooden spoon or your hands to break up the tomatoes into small pieces. Stir it up good.
- Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and toss sauce with pasta.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Leave a Reply