This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Homemade Cole Slaw Recipe is easy and fast to put together. A simple and refreshing side dish that is creamy and crisp, and is perfect for BBQs, potlucks or family gatherings.
This recipe is a great make ahead dish because it really does taste better the next day. Make it ahead of time for a fun get together or have it ready to serve along side your weeknight dinners. Cole Slaw is not only for summer picnics, it goes with any good comforting meal! Like chicken and mashed potatoes, or spaghetti & meatballs, or burgers and fries, and it is delicious on top of pulled pork sandwiches.
This post was originally posted on 8/27/2015 and updated on 07/21/2021.
Homemade Cole Slaw Ingredients
- Green Cabbage
- Miracle Whip
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Celery Seed
- Black Pepper
- Cabbage: I buy a whole cabbage and shred it myself, but the stores have bags of already shredded cabbage and bags of cole slaw mix. Any of those will work.
- Carrots: I always have carrots in my fridge, so I'll shred my own with my food processor. You can use already shredded carrots from the grocery store too.
- Miracle Whip: I grew up eating Miracle Whip so that is what I prefer to use. I have made this recipe with mayonnaise too and it is just as delicious. Use your favorite!
- Sugar: Honey is a good substitute for the sugar. The dressing will be a little bit more thin but it is still tasty with the honey.
How to Make Homemade Cole Slaw
- If you need to shred your cabbage and carrots, do that first. I like to shred the veggies using my food processor. If you don't have a food processor you can thinly slice the cabbage and use a box grater for the carrots.
- Add the shredded veggies to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the Miracle Whip, apple cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt and black pepper.
- Whisk it together well.
- Add the dressing to the bowl of shredded veggies and fold it together to combine it so everything is evenly coated.
- Chill the slaw in an air tight container for at least a hour before serving.
Best Cole Slaw Recipe Tips
- To prevent the carrots from bleeding, rinse them in cold water to remove any excess juice. Pat them dry with a towel or paper towels.
- This recipe is great to make ahead. It can be made a day ahead of time. I wouldn't make it any sooner than a day because it will start to get a little watery after a few days. To make it ahead of time sooner, you can store the dressing and shredded veggies separate in the fridge. When ready to serve, mix it up, chill it for a bit and then serve.
- Store the cole slaw in an air tight container in the fridge. It will last 4-5 days. The longer it sits the dressing will become a little watery and the veggies will become more soft.
FAQs About Homemade Cole Slaw Recipe
Homemade or prepared cole slaw will last in the the fridge 3-5 days when stored in an air tight container.
The salt in the dressing will draw out the moisture in the cabbage and carrots. The extra moisture will eventually make the dressing watery.
Other Salad Side Dishes:
- Classic Potato Salad
- Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Ham Pasta Salad
- Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad
- Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad
- Creamy Fruit Salad
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
Homemade Cole Slaw Recipe
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage, about ½ head or so
- 1 cup shredded carrots, about 2 large carrots
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Place shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the Miracle Whip, apple cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the shredded cabbage and carrots, and fold together until completely combined.
- Chill for at least a hour before serving.
Leave a Reply