This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and an easy homemade dressing will make this Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad a hit with everyone you know. This salad is quick and easy, ready in minutes to enjoy!
I've been eating this salad since I was a kid. My grandma and my mom use to make this very often especially in the summer months. I remember it being on the dinner table a lot in the summer and eating it brings back some great childhood memories.
This salad recipe is so simple and really lets the flavors of the produce shine. It is a great recipe to use fresh garden produce or produce from the farmer's market. This really is the best creamy and cool side dish to any picnic or hot summer meal!
This post was originally posted on 04/13/2015 and updated on 03/17/2021.
Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- Vine Ripe Tomatoes
- English Cucumber
- Sweet Yellow Onion
- Miracle Whip
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dill Weed
- Celery Seed
- Black Pepper
- Tomatoes: I prefer to use vine ripe tomatoes, because the juice of the tomatoes makes the dressing a whole lot better. Roma tomatoes are the best substitute, but cherry tomatoes cut in half work as well as any other tomato.
- Cucumbers: I like to use any type of cucumber. The kids and husband like it better when I use English cucumbers, a.k.a. hot house cucumbers because they have very minimal seeds in them. Any type of crunchy cucumber will work.
- Sweet Yellow Onion: Red onion is a good substitute. I prefer the sweet yellow onion for flavor and it doesn’t change the color of the dressing.
- Miracle Whip: Feel free to substitute with mayonnaise if you like that better than Miracle Whip. Another option is to use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Sugar: Honey is a good substitute for the sugar in this recipe.
How to Make Easy Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Cut the tomatoes and cumber into bite size chunks and the onion into slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Miracle Whip, sugar, apple cider vinegar, dill weed, celery seed, salt and pepper
- Add the cut up veggies to the dressing and gently fold it all together until completely combined.
- Serve immediately or chill for a hour before serving.
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
This salad is best served the same day. The tomatoes and cucumbers will become soft and a bit mushy if they sit in the dressing too long. However, you can make this salad in the morning, chill it and it will be perfect for lunch or dinner.
FAQ About Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad
Absolutely! Cucumbers and tomatoes are both great antioxidants. Cucumbers are a good source of vitamin K and provide some extra hydration and fiber to your body. Tomatoes are a source of vitamin C, potassium and vitamin K.
For this salad it is not necessary to peel the cucumbers. Especially if you use English cucumbers. Their peel is thin and not waxy at all. If you don't like the skin, or you are using a waxy cucumber then go ahead and peel it. Salad will still taste good!
More Quick and Easy Salads:
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Creamy Fruit Salad
- Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad
- Ham Pasta Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Chicken Tortellini Salad
- Classic Potato Salad
Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together miracle whip, sugar, vinegar, dill weed and celery seed.
- Add cut tomatoes, cucumbers and onions to the bowl and gently stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or chill before serving.