This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Easy Skillet Goulash Recipe is filled with macaroni and ground beef in a tomato based sauce made all in one pot. A family friendly dinner that is done and on the table within 30 minutes!
In need of a fast and quick dinner idea? This yummy goulash recipe is the answer! It's a simple one pot wonder that is bursting with flavor. It's cozy, comforting and filled with pasta. Can't go wrong with that combination.
Easy Skillet Goulash Recipe Ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Olive Oil
- Bell Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Tomato Paste
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Elbow Macaroni
- Beef Broth
- Frozen Corn
- Shredded Co-Jack
- Ground Beef: Ground turkey can be subbed for the beef making the dish a bit more lighter.
- Bell Pepper: Any color of sweet bell pepper can be used: Red, orange, yellow or green.
- Tomato Paste: I prefer to use the tomato paste in the tubes. It's easy and stores much nicer in the fridge. The canned tomato past will work, then transfer the leftover tomato paste to a small container and store in the fridge.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes: Original diced tomatoes can be used along with diced tomatoes flavored with basil, onion and garlic. I like the flavor the fire roasted gives to the dish, but feel free to use your favorite.
- Beef Broth: Chicken broth or water can be used. Or make your own by combining beef bouillon and water.
- Elbow Macaroni: Elbow macaroni is the traditional pasta used in goulash, but any short cut pasta like small shells, orecchiette, wheels or pipette will work.
- Frozen Corn: A can of corn kernels, drained, can be used along with fresh corn cut off the cobb. Add the fresh corn with the pasta.
- Co-Jack Cheese: Co-jack is my go to cheese for almost everything. Feel free to top the goulash with your favorite cheese. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or even Mozzarella will be delicious!
How to Make Traditional Goulash
- In a large deep 12 inch skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain any grease.
- Add the olive oil, chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Next, mix in the tomato paste, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Cook for another minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the canned crushed tomatoes and fire roasted diced tomatoes.
- Then, add the raw macaroni and stir to mix everything well.
- Slowly add the beef broth and then stir to cover all the pasta.
- Next, bring the goulash to a boil, cover with lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pasta should be al dente and most of the liquid absorbed. Then, remove from heat.
- Lastly stir in the corn and top with shredded cheese.
- Cover and rest for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!!!
Tips for Old Fashioned Goulash Recipe
- Use a deep 12 inch skillet to make stirring easier and avoid a huge mess on your stove. If you don't have a large enough skillet, use a soup pot. It will work just as good.
- While the pasta is cooking, stir it occasionally so the pasta doesn't stick together or to the bottom of the skillet.
- For a creamier goulash, stir the cheese in until melted and then stir in a bit of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
What to serve with Easy Skillet Goulash?
We love to serve buttered bread, Easy Dinner Rolls, Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits, or No Knead Dinner Rolls and a simple green salad when we have this yummy goulash. Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad and Tomato Cucumber and Basil Salad are also great side dishes to serve with this easy skillet goulash recipe.
What is the difference between American Goulash and Hungarian Goulash?
American goulash, also called American chop suey, is a quick dish filled with ground beef and macaroni in a savory tomato based sauce. Hungarian goulash is a slow simmered stew with beef chunks and vegetables that is heavily seasoned with paprika.
Other Easy Comfort Dinner Recipes:
- Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
- Cheesy Spaghetti Bake
- Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Chicken and Noodles
- Crock Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Easy Three Bean Chili
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
Easy Skillet Goulash Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 29 oz fire roasted tomatoes, 2-14.5 oz cans
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded co-jack cheese
- In a large deep 12 inch skillet, or soup pot, brown beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain any grease.
- Add the olive oil, chopped onions and bell peppers to the ground beef. Cook until the onions are translucent and soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and tomato paste. Cook for another minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and fire roasted tomatoes and mix gently.
- Stir in the raw elbow macaroni.
- Slowly add the beef broth and gently stir it in so the pasta is fully covered with liquid.
- Bring to a boil, cover skillet with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the frozen corn and top with shredded cheese. Cover and let rest 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve and Enjoy!