This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Easy Spaghetti Shrimp is a perfect weeknight meal that is full of flavor! A simple one pot pasta recipe topped with garlic seasoned shrimp is a satisfying meal the whole family will enjoy!
This meal is so great because it only takes around 30 minutes from start to finish. Who doesn't like quick, easy, yummy meals? I know I do! Especially on those nights when you know you will be busy with kids' extra activities, or you are folding loads upon loads of clean laundry, or because it's Friday and you just want to get done as quick as possible so you can sit and watch a movie with your honey! Whatever your reason, this recipe will be perfect for those nights!
This post was originally posted on 04/26/2015 and updated on 04/12/2021.
Easy Spaghetti Shrimp Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Parmesan Cheese
- Black Pepper
- Raw Shrimp
- Olive Oil: Substitute with more butter, avocado oil, canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Butter: Use all olive oil if preferred.
- Mushrooms: Fresh mushrooms or canned will both work.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes: Any type of canned diced tomatoes can be used. I prefer the fire roasted with basil and garlic for extra flavor.
- Chicken Broth: To keep this recipe meat free, feel free to use vegetable broth.
- Spaghetti: Any long cut pasta will work, cooking time for the pasta may need to be adjusted.
- Spinach: Kale would be a great substitute, add it with the spaghetti so it has time to soften up.
- Raw Shrimp: I prefer to use raw shrimp, so I can cook them how I like them. Reheating cooked shrimp can cause them to get too rubbery, but if that's all you can find they will work just fine with this recipe. If you want to avoid shrimp, feel free to use chicken. Chicken is really good with this pasta too!
How to Cook Spaghetti with Shrimp
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms are browned well.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the fire roasted diced tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Add the spaghetti and push it down so it is completely submerged in the liquid.
- Bring the liquid to a bubble, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 7-8 minutes until the spaghetti is tender but not quite al dente yet.
- Stir in spinach and shredded parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and let the spaghetti rest until the pasta is al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the pasta is resting, heat olive oil in cast iron skillet or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and shrimp to the pan and cook until the shrimp is just pink and fully cooked, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve shrimp over spaghetti.
How to Know when Shrimp is Done Cooking
Raw shrimp is usually gray in color and translucent. When it cooks it turns opaque white and pink in color. The tails will turn almost red when they are done cooking. Timing all depends on the size of the shrimp. Large and jumbo sized shrimp takes about 2-3 minutes on each side when cooked on the stove over medium heat. Smaller shrimp will take less time.
How to Thaw Frozen Shrimp
I keep frozen raw shrimp on hand all the time. Shrimp is best thawed in a colander under running cool water. Or you can put the shrimp in a bowl of cool water. Do not use warm water because it can start to cook the shrimp and will alter the texture. Shrimp can be thawed overnight in the fridge, but note that the texture isn't as good as quick thawed shrimp.
FAQs About Easy Spaghetti Shrimp Recipe
Serve the cooked shrimp on top of the pasta. Or if you like you can stir the cooked shrimp into the pasta.
Simple salt and pepper with minced garlic is my favorite way to season shrimp. Evenly sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper the shrimp and sauté it with garlic. Old Bay seasoning, grill seasoning, and Italian seasoning are all good options for easy flavorful shrimp as well.
More Weeknight Dinners We Love:
- Garlic Shrimp
- Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- Lasagna Skillet
- Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Taco Pasta Skillet
- Simple Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Family Favorite Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Beef Tips & Gravy
- Tator Tot Hotdish
Easy Spaghetti Shrimp
For the Shrimp
- 5-6 lbs large shrimp, raw, shelled, and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Heat oil and butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms, sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Add the dry pasta and push it down into liquid to submerge completely.
- Bring the liquid to a low bubble. Cover the dutch oven, reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes or until pasta is tender but not quite al dente.
- Stir in the spinach and ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Remove from heat, and let rest for about 5 minutes until pasta is al dente and liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
For the Shrimp
- While the pasta is resting, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and shrimp.
- Sauté until the shrimp is just pink, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve shrimp over pasta or combine it with pasta.