This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These healthy and delicious Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves are simple to make, quick to bake and are the perfect size for kids. A great way to enjoy meatloaf during the week.
Meatloaf is a staple in our house. Everyone loves it and they ask for it all the time. However, when I'm running around crazy with the kids the last thing I want to do is make a grand meatloaf and wait forever for it to bake. Then I discovered mini meatloaves! Whoever thought of this (it wasn't me), was a genius! Making meatloaf in smaller portions is the way to go so we can enjoy it during the week.
This recipe is also a great meal prep and make ahead dish. I am a huge meal planner and do most of my prep work on Sundays. This recipe works great. Make the meatloaf, place it in your muffin pan and store in fridge until ready to bake. Or another option is to bake them all up at once, and prep ready to reheat meals. Both options work very well with this delicious BBQ turkey meatloaf recipe.
BBQ Turkey Meatloaf Ingredients
- Ground Turkey
- Panko Crumbs
- Minced Dried Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Mustard Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Ground Turkey: The turkey keeps this meatloaf leaner and lower in calories and fat. It can be substituted with ground chicken or ground beef.
- Panko Crumbs: Can be substituted with bread crumbs.
- Mustard Powder: In a pinch you can substitute bottled yellow mustard or Dijon mustard.
- BBQ Sauce: I prefer to use my favorite store bought sauce, Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ Sauce. Use your favorite or use a delicious homemade sauce too.
How to Make Mini Turkey Meatloaves with BBQ Sauce
- In a bowl combine the ground turkey, panko crumbs, eggs, minced onion, parsley, minced garlic, mustard powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and ¼ cup of the BBQ sauce.
- Mix gently until it all comes together and is completely combined.
- Using a large scoop, scoop the mixture into a 12 count muffin pan or brownie pan.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of BBQ sauce on top of each mini meatloaf and spread it out a bit.
- Bake the meatloaves in a 375°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 165°F. Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Can I Make Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves Ahead of Time?
Yes, this recipe is excellent for a make ahead meal. Prep the mini meatloaves according to recipe directions. Once the mini loaves are in the pan, cover them tightly with plastic wrap or foil and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. It is best to let them sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before baking. If you forget no worries, just increase the baking time by about 5 minutes.
This recipe also works well for make ahead meal prep dishes. Follow all the recipe directions. Once the loaves are done baking, let them cool completely. Then store them in your meal prep dishes with a healthy side dish and store in fridge.
Can I freeze Mini Turkey Meatloaves?
Yes! They can be frozen cooked or uncooked. If you want to make them for a freezer meal, shape the meat mixture into small loaves or large meatballs and place them apart on a sheet pan or in a aluminum foil pan. Add some BBQ sauce on top and then place them in the freezer for about an hour to flash freeze. Once they are frozen, place in a freezer safe bag or container and then label and date. Or you can tightly cover the aluminum pan and use that. These will last in the freezer for 3-4 months. When ready to cook, take out the night before and thaw in the fridge. Place loaves on a sheet pan and follow cooking instructions in recipe. May have to increase cooking time by about 5 minutes or so.
Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves also freeze well cooked. Follow the recipe directions and then let the loaves cool completely. Place the cooked loaves in a freezer safe container or zip top bag, label and date and freeze. When ready to use, thaw overnight and reheat in the microwave or in oven on low heat.
What to Serve with Healthy Meatloaf
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Dinner Rolls
- Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits
FAQs About Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves
Turkey is lighter than ground beef so it doesn't need as mush moisture added to the meat like beef does. If the meatloaf is turning out mushy check your meat to filler ratio. Try using dry breadcrumbs or panko rather than milk soaked bread. If you use milk in your recipe, only add a little bit at a time to reached your desired consistency.
I prefer to cook my mini meatloaves and meatloaf uncovered. I like the crisp outside edges it creates. It can be baked covered with aluminum foil and removed for the last 15 minutes of baking time. Covering it will create some steam and keep the meatloaf moist.
For turkey meatloaf, don't add any additional liquid to the mix. Use a thicker sauce or just eggs. For beef based meatloaf, use milk soaked breadcrumbs to add extra moisture to the mixture.
More Family Friendly Weeknight Meals:
- Easy Skillet Lasagna
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Family Favorite Sloppy Joes
- Easy Turkey Burgers
- Chicken and Noodles
- Easy Three Bean Chili
- Crock Pot Pizza Chicken
- Tator Tot Hotdish
- Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- Turkey & Zucchini Meatballs
Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a muffin pan or brownie pan.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, panko, eggs, onion flakes, parsley, garlic, mustard powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and ¼ cup of the BBQ sauce.
- Mix gently until fully mixed and scoop mixture into 12 count brownie pan or muffin pan. Lightly press it down to fit in pan.
- Top each one with about 1 teaspoon of BBQ sauce and spread it out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.