This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Healthy Basil Tuna Cakes are a quick, easy and budget-friendly dinner idea that is on the table in less than 15 minutes. You won't believe how delicious canned tuna is in these crispy cakes.
These tuna cakes were a Friday night dinner staple when I was a kid. I loved them as a kid, and I love them now. They are light, tasty and low calorie yet full of protein and flavor. Can't get much better than that!
Need more ideas on how to use canned tuna? Sick of the same ole tuna sandwich? Try these healthy tuna cakes. They are perfect for quick week-night dinners, they literally only take 15 minutes. Plus, they are extremely healthy and satisfying.
This post was originally posted on 1/14/2017 and updated on 2/17/2021.
Healthy Basil Tuna Cakes Ingredients
- Canned Tuna in Water
- Saltine Crackers
- Dried Minced Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Basil
- Salt & Pepper
Substitution Suggestions for Basil Tuna Cakes
- Tuna: canned tuna in water is the best, however you can use tuna in oil, just drain it really well. You can also use the tuna packs. The lemon pepper flavored tuna pack is really good with this recipe!
- Saltine Crackers: substitute ½ cup of bread crumbs, panko crumbs or another variety of cracker crumbs.
- Basil: Substitute with your favorite herb. Oregano, Italian seasoning, Thyme are all very good in tuna cakes.
How to Make Healthy Basil Tuna Cakes with Canned Tuna
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients well and divide into 8 patties.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and grease with olive oil spray.
- Cook the tuna patties for 2-3 minutes.
- Spray the top of the tuna cakes with olive oil spray, then flip.
- Cook patties for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown and remove from heat.
What is the healthiest way to eat tuna?
There are many healthy ways to eat tuna. Tuna in these tuna cakes are delicious! It is also good mixed with a variety of steamed veggies or added to salads. Tuna makes a great high protein snack as well. Mix it with some cottage cheese, dijon mustard, or some plain Greek yogurt.
How do you keep tuna cakes from falling apart?
In this recipe the eggs and cracker crumbs act as the binders. Another way to bind tuna cakes is to mix mayo or mustard with cracker crumbs or a different variety of bread crumbs. Make sure you are using enough of the binding ingredient. If the patty mix is too wet it will fall apart. Lastly, chill the mixture then form the patties while the mix is cold.
What can I mix with canned tuna?
Canned tuna is great mixed with many things. Here are some ideas on what to mix with canned tuna and what to make with canned tuna:
- Cottage Cheese
- Mashed Avocados
- Mayo, Mustard or Greek yogurt
- Tuna on Sliced Tomatoes
- Tuna with Steamed Veggies
- Salad topped with Tuna
- Tuna Mac-N-Cheese
- Tuna Cakes
- Cold Tuna Salad
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Tuna Melts
FAQ About Healthy Tuna Cakes
Canned tuna is high protein with barely any fat. It's also a good source of fatty acids which is good for the heart.
Tuna cakes are great served on a bed of greens with steamed veggies. They are also delicious served as an appetizer.
More Healthy Dinner Ideas:
- Easy Turkey Burgers
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Roast Chicken Cobb Salad
- Simple Roasted Chicken Breast
- Baked Cumin Chicken
Healthy Basil Tuna Cakes
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together and mix well.
- Form into 8 patties.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and spray with olive oil.
- Cook patties for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Spray the top of the patties with olive oil before turning over.
- Turn patties over and cook another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.