No need to order take out again with this super easy Ham Fried Rice! Everything is done in one pan and can be on your table in less than 30 minutes!
This post was originally posted on 4/15/2020 and updated on 7/1/2022.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Why We Love This Ham Fried Rice
- So simple to make and a great way to use leftover ingredients.
- The recipe uses leftovers to make a whole new meal.
- Ready and on the table in under 30 minutes. Making it perfect for busy weeknights.
- Made with simple ingredients the whole family enjoys.
- We eat it as a main dish most often, but it's a delicious side dish as well!
- This recipe is versatile. You can swap out the protein and veggies that you have on hand. See my suggestions below.
Ham Fried Rice Ingredients
- Sesame Oil
- Leftover Ham
- Frozen Peas
- Leftover Cooked Rice
- Soy Sauce
- Green Onions and Sesame Seeds for garnishing
- Sesame Oil: You can sauté the veggies in olive oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil. I would still drizzle some sesame oil at the end to finish the dish. You really want the sesame flavor to bring the dish all the way home.
- Onion, Carrots, Peas: Use the veggies you have on hand. These are just common ingredients in fried rice and I always have them on hand. You can use mushrooms, bell pepper, broccoli, bean sprouts, cabbage chunks or asparagus, as well as frozen green beans or corn. Skip chopping carrots and use frozen peas and carrots.
- Leftover Ham: Use any leftover protein you have on hand. Chicken, beef, ground beef, shrimp or even chicken sausage works well. For a vegetarian option you can use cubes of tofu or omit the protein and add extra veggies.
- Leftover Rice: White rice, long grain rice or brown rice works with this recipe.
This easy dinner comes together so quickly with just a handful of ingredients. The best way to get a family favorite dinner on the table during the week.
How to Make Ham Fried Rice
- First, in a large skillet with deep sides or wok, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Then add in the onions, carrots and ham. Sauté veggies until just tender, about 5 minutes
- Add in the peas and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Next, push the veggies to one side of the pan. Pour the beaten eggs on the empty side of the pan and scramble them while cooking, takes about 2 minutes.
- Once the eggs are done cooking, combine it all together in the frying pan.
- Add in the rice and soy sauce. Mix well and sauté for a few minutes until all the soy sauce is absorbed.
- Finally, garnish it with some sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Then serve and eat!
What to Serve with Easy Ham Fried Rice
Our favorite way to enjoy this great recipe is as a quick main dish. However, it is equally as delicious served as a side dish. Here are some delicious options to have with it:
- Easy Orange Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken
- Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Simple Roasted Chicken Breast
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
Storing Ham Fried Rice
Storing: Add any leftovers to an airtight container and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Freezing: This can also be frozen! Add it to freezer safe containers or zip top bags, label and freeze. Thaw overnight before reheating or reheat from frozen.
Reheating: Place in microwave safe bowl or plate, cover with a damp paper towel and reheat in the microwave for a minute or so. Or use a small skillet on the stove, add a splash of water to the skillet and warm over medium-low heat.
Tips for Ham Fried Rice
- For the best result, use cold rice. Leftover cold rice is actually best for this recipe so it has a little time to dry out. Add it to the pan cold, doing this will help retain any moisture it does have left and eliminate the risk of it becoming broken and mushy.
- If you have all ingredients on hand except the cooked rice, make the fresh rice in the morning. Then let it cool a bit and store it in the fridge all day until ready to use. It will have enough time to dry out and get cold.
- If you like, you can make the scrambled eggs beforehand. Make them in the same pan, them remove and set aside while you make the rest of the fried rice recipe. Stir the eggs in at the end.
Ham Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots, about 2 small carrots
- 1½ cups diced ham
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a large skillet with deep sides or wok, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions, carrots and ham and sauté until veggies are tender. About 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and saute another 2 minutes.
- Push the veggies to the side of the pan and pour the beaten eggs on the empty side. Scramble and cook the eggs for about 2 minutes until cooked through.
- Mix everything together. Stir in cold rice and soy sauce.
- Stir everything together and cook until all the soy sauce is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
Leave a Reply