This Easy Orange Chicken Recipe is a healthy family friendly meal that is perfect for busy weeknights. No need for take out when you have this incredibly easy and delicious recipe that is made with just a few ingredients and is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Why We Love this Recipe
- It's an easy recipe that is on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- The kids LOVE this recipe, so I get more hugs from them!
- Simple ingredients that I usually have on hand in my pantry or fridge.
- Any healthy dinner that the family loves is a mom win!
- It's healthier and tastes better than take out.
Easy Orange Chicken Ingredients
- Orange Juice
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Red Chili Flakes
- Ground Ginger
- Rice Vinegar
- Corn Starch
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Breast: Cut chicken tenderloins, or boneless skinless chicken thighs can be used, as well as leftover cooked chicken. Also, if you prefer crispy chicken, you can use frozen chicken bites or popcorn chicken that have been cooked before adding to sauce.
- Olive Oil: Any neutral oil like canola, avocado or vegetable can be used to cook the chicken.
- Orange Juice: Use 100% orange juice. Do not use an orange juice blend or cocktail mix. If you want a more intense orange flavor, add the zest of one orange to the sauce.
- Honey: I have not tried any other sweetener with this recipe. Maple syrup, agave or brown sugar would be options, but again I have not tried it with either of those sweeteners.
- Soy Sauce: Coconut aminos can be substituted for the soy sauce.
- Sesame Oil: This gives the dish the flavor of take out, I suggest not skipping this or substituting it.
- Red Pepper Flakes: you can use a ¼-½ teaspoon of black pepper instead if you prefer.
- Ground Ginger: A ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger finely grated can be used.
- Rice Vinegar: Again this ingredient really helps give the dish flavor like take out, so I recommend not skipping or substituting this ingredient.
Skip the take out and make this easy and healthy orange chicken recipe!
How to Make Orange Chicken
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients: orange juice, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, and rice vinegar.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Then add the cubed chicken pieces and season it with salt and black pepper.
- Cook chicken for about 2 minutes, turn and cook another 2 minutes until fully cooked.
- Remove the pieces of chicken from the skillet to a plate and cover with foil.
- In the same skillet add the orange chicken sauce and whisk it a few times. Heat sauce over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
- While the sauce is heating, whisk together the corn starch and water to create a cornstarch slurry.
- Once the sauce is boiling, whisk in the corn starch slurry. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce thickens and coats the back of spoon. About 3-5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and add the chicken to the sauce.
- Serve over instant pot white rice and garnish with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
What to Serve with this BEST Orange Chicken Recipe
We love to serve this orange chicken over white or brown rice. I love making rice in the instant pot. It's fast and easy.
I also love to serve some steamed or sautéed veggies with this orange chicken recipe. Frozen veggies are fast and easy, and are perfect when you are crunched for time. Here are some other veggie recipes that are great to serve with this recipe:
Storing Easy Orange Chicken
Storing: Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Store the orange chicken and the rice in separate containers.
Reheating: Reheat the orange chicken over low heat on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through.
Reheating Rice: Reheat rice in a skillet on the stove over low heat with a little water (about 1 tablespoon per 1 cup rice), stirring often so all the rice heats evenly throughout. To reheat in the microwave: add the rice to microwave safe bowl or plate and add either a little water or an ice cube. Cover the rice with a damp paper towel and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval.
More Weeknight Worthy Chicken Recipes:
- Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Foil Packets
- Honey Mustard Chicken and Veggies
Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups 100% orange juice
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- 2 pounds chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into bite size cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together: orange juice, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, and rice vinegar.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the cubed chicken and season with the salt and black pepper.
- Cook chicken for 2 minutes, flip and cook another 2 minutes until fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from skillet to plate and cover with foil.
- Add the sauce to the skillet, whisk it a few times. Bring to a boil.
- While the sauce is heating, whisk together the corn starch and water.
- Once the sauce is boiling, whisk in the corn starch slurry. Bring sauce back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. About 3-5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in the chicken.
- Serve over rice and garnish with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Leave a Reply