This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These Chicken Bacon Ranch Foil Packets are an easy dinner to put together with very little clean up. A tasty foil packet meal filled with tender potatoes, juicy chicken, crisp bacon, and gooey cheese all tossed with a homemade ranch seasoning, and easily made on the grill or in the oven.
I don't know where foil packet meals have been all my life! So incredibly easy with very little dishes! Those are my kind of dinners. These packets are filled with a winning combo flavor that my family just loves. If you have any ranch lovers in your family this recipe will be a big hit!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Foil Packet Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts, boneless & skinless
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Shredded Co-Jack Cheese
- Cooked Bacon Pieces
- Olive Oil
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Dill Weed
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Breasts: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are a great substitute.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: Any potatoes will work with this recipe: russet, baby reds, and small creamer potatoes are good options.
- Shredded Co-Jack Cheese: Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Muenster, Gruyere, Provolone, or Monterey Jack are all good substitutes. Use your favorite cheese!
- Olive Oil: I prefer olive oil for the taste, but any neutral oil will work or even melted butter.
- Ranch Seasoning: You can substitute with a few store bought packets of ranch seasoning if needed.
How to Make Chicken Foil Packet Meals
- Add the diced chicken and cut potatoes to separate bowls.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the chicken and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the parsley, dill weed, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Add half of the ranch seasoning to the diced chicken and the remaining seasoning to the potatoes. Mix the ranch seasoning into each so everything is evenly coated.
- Cut 6 pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil that are about 16-18 inches long.
- Start layering the ingredients. Divide the potatoes evenly among the pieces of foil.
- Top the potatoes with the diced chicken pieces.
- Next, sprinkle about 2 heaping tablespoons of cheese over the chicken.
- Lastly, add the cooked and chopped bacon pieces evenly on top of the cheese.
- Fold up 2 opposite sides of the foil together and then fold the ends to close making a packet.
- Cook the packets on a grill heated over medium heat covered for 20-25 minutes, or in a preheated 425°F oven for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and the potatoes are fork tender.
Tips For Chicken Bacon Ranch Foil Packets
- Cut the chicken and potatoes into bite size pieces no bigger than an inch. This will help them all cook evenly and be done at the same time.
- Cook up the bacon ahead of time using this easy method: How to Bake Bacon.
- Use heavy duty aluminum foil or double up the foil if you don't have heavy duty.
- Create an assembly line when building the foil packet meals. It makes it easier and much quicker.
- Leave some space between the food and packet so there is enough room for expansion as they cook.
- Be careful opening the foil packet. Open it away from your face avoiding contact with the steam.
Yes, this recipe can be made a few hours ahead of time and stored in the fridge or cooler until ready to cook. Since the potatoes are mixed with olive oil, the oil will help slow the oxidation process preventing the potatoes from turning brown.
Making a foil packet is simple. Start out by taking 2 sides across from each other and fold them together. Then fold the ends making a packet.
Many foods cook well in foil over a fire. The aluminum foil conducts heat well, withstands high temperatures and acts a barrier to help prevent any burning and over cooking. Most proteins, potatoes, and veggies will cook well in a foil packet.
Other Delicious Chicken Recipes:
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Crispy Corn Flake Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken and Vegetables
- Oven Fried Chicken Legs
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe
- Corn Flake Chicken Tenders
- Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken
Chicken Bacon Ranch Foil Packets
- Preheat a grill to medium heat or an oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl add the diced chicken and in another large bowl add the diced potatoes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to each bowl.
- In a small bowl combine: parsley, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle half of the seasoning mix over the chicken and the remaining half over the potatoes. Stir it into each bowl well evenly coating everything.
- Cut 6 pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil each about 16-18 inches long.
- Evenly place potatoes on foil sheets.
- Add the chicken pieces evenly on top of the potatoes.
- Top chicken with 2 heaping tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Evenly sprinkle each packet with cooked chopped bacon pieces.
- Fold up 2 opposite sides of foil and then fold the ends close creating a packet. Remember to leave some room for expansion while cooking.
- Place foil packets in a covered grill or on a sheet pan in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and the potatoes are fork tender.