Grilled Potatoes in Foil is an easy and delicious side dish with simple ingredients and very little clean up. These potatoes are going to be your new go-to summer side dish!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Why We Love These Potato Foil Packets
- Super easy side dish!
- Who doesn't love potatoes?!
- Very little clean up.
- Ready to enjoy within 30 minutes.
- Requires only a few simple ingredients.
Grilled Potatoes in Foil Ingredients
- Olive Oil Spray: This helps so none of the potatoes stick to the foil. You can use any nonstick spray you have on hand.
- Potatoes: Any type of potato will work for this recipe. Russet, Yukon golds, baby reds are all delicious options. The little creamer potatoes are my favorite to use.
- Salted Butter: Unsalted butter can be used.
- Salt: Don't skimp on the salt. Potatoes love and need salt.
- Black Pepper: For added flavor and balance.
- Dried Parsley: Adds a earthy flavor to the potatoes rounding out and balancing it all.
How to Make Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- First, heat oven to 425°F or a grill to medium heat. Cut 2 pieces of foil using heavy duty aluminum foil that are each about 18-20 inches long. Spray each of the foil pieces with olive oil spray.
- Next, cut the washed potatoes into bite size pieces no bigger than 1 inch.
- Equally divide the potatoes between each piece of foil.
- Then top each packet of potatoes with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sprinkle each packet with 1 teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of dried parsley.
- Fold up the 2 long sides of the foil together and then fold the ends making a packet. Repeat with other packet.
- Add potato packets to the grill and cook covered over direct heat for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Or you can place packets on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
These delicious potatoes are not just for the summer months. They can be made year round in the oven too!
Endless Flavor Possibilities:
- Ranch: Combine 2 teaspoons dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried dill weed, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Evenly sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the potatoes and pats of butter. You could also use a store bought ranch packet.
- Italian: add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning to the potatoes along with some cherry tomatoes or sliced roasted red peppers.
- Onion: Slice a yellow onion and add to each packet.
- Veggies: Add some diced bell peppers, zucchini, or sliced mushrooms.
- Make it Cheesy: Once the potatoes are fully cooked, carefully open foil packets, top with some shredded cheese and place foil packets back on grill or in oven and heat until cheese is melted.
- Loaded: Top the cooked potatoes with cheddar cheese, sour cream, crumbled bacon and green onions.
- Add protein: Add some diced ham, chicken breast, or sliced sausage links with the raw potatoes. Follow recipe directions, making sure that the chicken is fully cooked to 165°F.
What to Serve with Grilled Potatoes
These potatoes go well with any protein main dish. They are also good served with some breakfast and brunch dishes. Here are some of our favorite recipes to have with these grilled potatoes in foil.
Storing Grilled Potatoes
Storing: Store any leftover grilled potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheating: These potatoes can be reheated in the microwave or on the stove top over low heat until warmed through.
Tips for the Best Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- Cut potatoes all the same size and no bigger than an inch. This will ensure they all cook evenly and within 20-25 minutes.
- Don't skip spraying the foil. It really helps keep the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the foil.
- I like using heavy duty foil. It is less likely to get ripped when taking off the grill.
- This is a great recipe for any camping trip! Potatoes don't need to be kept in a cooler so they are perfect to bring camping.
More Delicious Potato Side Dish Recipes:
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Oven Fries
- Classic Potato Salad
- Roasted Parmesan Potatoes
- Au Gratin Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- Heat grill to medium heat or oven to 425°F. Cut 2 pieces of foil that are each about 18-20 inches long.
- Spray each piece of foil with olive oil spray.
- Dice potatoes in bite size cubes no bigger than 1 inch.
- Divide potatoes evenly among the pieces of foil.
- Top each potato packet with 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and 1 teaspoon of dried parsley.
- Fold up the 2 long sides of foil together and then fold the ends making a packet. Repeat with other packet.
- Cook covered on grill or in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve and enjoy!