This Chicken Meatballs Recipe creates the most flavorful baked chicken meatballs that are then simmered in a simple red sauce. Great for appetizers, meatball sandwiches or served over your favorite pasta!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Chicken Meatballs Recipe Ingredients
- Ground Chicken
- Panko Crumbs
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic, dry
- Dried Parsley
- Minced Onion, dry
- Black Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Italian Seasoning
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Basil
- White Sugar
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Ground Chicken: Feel free to use ground turkey if you like. You can also grind your own chicken breasts and thighs.
- Panko Crumbs: Plain bread crumbs will also work.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: Grated pecorino cheese is also really good!
- Olive Oil: Avocado oil, canola, grapeseed or vegetable oil can be used. However, olive oil has the best flavor with this recipe.
- Dried Minced Garlic and Onion: I like to use the dried spices in the meatballs, but you can use fresh if you like. Use a microplane to grate them both very finely. Or you can use 2 teaspoons each of garlic powder and onion powder.
- Crushed Tomatoes and Seasonings: If you prefer you can use your favorite jar of red pasta sauce. This sauce recipe is really simple and delicious, I suggest giving it a try first.
- White Sugar: You can replace the sugar with some honey, agave, brown sugar or sugar substitute if you prefer.
- Mozzarella: You can also use shredded parmesan, provolone, asiago cheese or blend of all of them.
How to Make Baked Chicken Meatballs Recipe
- In a large bowl combine the meatball ingredients: ground chicken, panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, egg, dried minced garlic, dried onion flakes, dried parsley, salt and black pepper. Work it together just until it is fully and evenly combined but being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Using a medium size scoop or 2 level tablespoons, make about 20 meatballs and place them on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs in a preheated 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes until fully cooked.
- While the meatballs are in the oven baking, make the red sauce. In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Then add the chopped onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté another minute and until the garlic is fragrant.
- Next, stir in the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, sugar, water, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring the sauce to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- After the sauce has simmered for 10 minutes, remove 1 cup of the sauce to stir into the pasta if desired.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking, add them to the sauce and give it a gentle stir so the meatballs are coated with sauce. Remove pan from heat.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over top, cover the pan with a lid and let sit until the cheese is melted.
- Serve meatballs over pasta, in hoagie buns or plain as an appetizer.
What to Serve with Chicken Meatballs
We love having a simple green side salad anytime we have pasta or an Italian inspired dish. Here are some more side dishes that would be delicious with these meatballs:
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Crispy Oven Fries
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Air Fryer Green Beans
Tips for Baked Chicken Meatballs Recipe
- The most important rule about making meatballs or meatloaf is to not over work the meat. Over working the meat will create really tough and dry meatballs, which are not pleasant to eat.
- Use a scoop to portion out the meatballs. This will ensure even cooking because the meatballs will all be the same size.
- Do not overbake the meatballs. Overbaking will create dry meatballs. Bake just until cooked or the internal temperature is 160°F.
Storing and Reheating
Storing: Store any leftover meatballs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezing: These meatballs freeze well with the sauce or without the sauce. If freezing with the sauce add it all to a freezer safe air tight container. Then, label, date and freeze. Freezing the meatballs with no sauce is just as easy. Place the cooked and cooled meatballs in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag, then label, date and freeze. Both options will last up to 4 months in the freezer.
Thawing: When ready to enjoy the meatballs, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator.
Reheating: Reheat the meatballs with sauce on the stove over low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat in the microwave.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes:
- Easy Orange Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken and Veggies
- Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Spaghetti Bake
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Baked Cumin Chicken
- Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Corn Flake Chicken Tenders
Chicken Meatballs Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine: ground chicken, panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, olive oil, egg, dried minced garlic and onion, dried parsley, salt, and black pepper. Mix with hands until fully combined but being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Using a medium size scoop or 2 tablespoons, make about 20 meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until fully cooked or internal temperature is 160°F.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the red sauce. In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook another minute and until fragrant.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, sugar, water, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a low boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once the sauce has simmered, remove 1 cup of the sauce to stir into the pasta if using.
- When the meatballs are done, gently place them in the sauce and give them a gentle stir to coat them all. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top, cover pan with lid and let sit until the cheese has melted.
- Serve over pasta, in hoagie buns or plain as an appetizer.