This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Crock Pot Chicken Barley Soup is a healthy and hearty soup that is a cinch to prepare. A simple dump and go recipe that lets the slow cooker do all the work! This soup is comforting and really family friendly!
Crock Pot Chicken Barley Soup Ingredients
- Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Parsley
- Black Pepper
- Pearled Barley
- Chicken Broth
- Chicken Breast: Feel free to use chicken thighs if you prefer. The broth will yield a little fat from the thighs but will be super delicious.
- Pearled Barley: This is barley soup so no substitution needed. However, do NOT use instant or quick cooking barley. It will disintegrate into the soup.
- Chicken Broth: Vegetable broth or water and bouillon can be used.
- Variations: If you like other spices and seasonings, you can add rosemary or Italian seasoning, and for a little kick you can add some red chili flakes. For extra or different veggies you can add sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, chopped leeks or bell pepper. A dash of lemon at the end will make for a brighter soup. To make it creamy, add a splash of heavy cream or milk at the end of cooking.
How to Make Chicken Barley Soup in the Slow Cooker
- First, place the chicken breast in the crock pot in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the thyme, parsley, salt and black pepper over the chicken.
- Next, add the minced garlic, chopped carrots, onions and celery.
- Then add the pearled barley. If you prefer, rinse the barley before adding.
- Pour in the chicken broth and give the soup a gentle stir.
- Cover the crock pot and set on low for 8 hours.
- Break apart the chicken with tongs. The chicken will be so tender it will fall apart easily.
- Then stir it up and serve.
Storing Chicken Barley Soup
Storing: Store any leftover soup in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezing: This soup freezes well. Add the cooled soup to a freezer safe air tight container, then label and date it. Soup will last up to 4 months in the freezer. When ready to use, thaw the soup in the fridge overnight.
Reheating: Reheat the soup on the stove over low heat or in the microwave until heated through.
FAQs About Crock Pot Chicken Barley Soup
Yes, pearled barley cooks perfectly in the slow cooker. Cook it in some broth or water on low for 6-8 hours.
For this recipe the pearled barley is added in raw to the soup and the crock pot cooks it. If you want to make a more thinner soup, cook the barley separate and stir it into the soup before serving.
Pearled barley does not need to be soaked. It will become tender while cooking.
Other Delicious Crock Pot Soups:
- Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Beef Barely Stew
- Ground Turkey Chili
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Chicken and Potato Stew
- White Chicken Chili
- Beef Stew
- Split Pea Soup
- Easy 3 Bean Chili
Crock Pot Chicken Barley Soup
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup pearled barley
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Add the chicken breast in a single layer to the bottom of the crock pot.
- Sprinkle thyme, parsley, salt and black pepper over chicken.
- Add the minced garlic, chopped carrots, celery and onions on top of the chicken.
- Add the pearled barley and chicken broth to the crock pot.
- Give it a gentle stir and then cover.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Break up the chicken with tongs.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply