This BBQ Meatloaf Recipe is the ultimate comfort food that will have your family begging for more. An easy recipe with the addition of some smoky and sweet bbq sauce takes this meatloaf to the next level.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Why We Love This BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
- Family friendly meal.
- If you love meatloaf, this recipe takes traditional meatloaf over the top.
- Easy meatloaf recipe with simple ingredients.
- Great to make ahead or use for meal prepping.
- Makes the most tender meatloaf.
- A delicious and favorite comfort food.
- Makes the best leftovers. Love leftover meatloaf sandwiches, this meatloaf is the best for them!
BBQ Sauce Meatloaf Ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Panko Crumbs
- BBQ Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Steak Seasoning Blend
- Dry Minced Garlic
- Dry Minced Onion
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Large Eggs
- Ground Beef: To lighten up the recipe you can use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Panko Crumbs: I don't recommend substituting this ingredient, but if you need to, plain bread crumbs can be used. Panko yields a much better texture in the meatloaf.
- BBQ Sauce: Use your favorite! My favorite is Sweet Baby's Rays Honey BBQ Sauce. Or you can make your own bbq glaze or homemade barbecue sauce if you like.
- Steak Seasoning: Any brand you like you can use. I mostly use McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning or Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning. They're both really good options.
- Variations: Add sautéed veggies! Finely chop a small raw onion and half a green bell pepper, then sauté in a few tablespoons of olive oil and a splash of water over medium-low heat. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Let cool and add to meatloaf with other ingredients. It adds so much flavor and is a delicious option!
This tasty meatloaf is going to become the new family favorite on the dinner table, guaranteed!
How to Make Meatloaf Recipe with BBQ Sauce
- Heat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. If using foil, spray with some nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine: ground beef, panko crumbs, ½ cup of your favorite bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, minced garlic, minced onion, parsley and eggs.
- Mix meat together with hands just until everything is evenly incorporated. The easiest way to combine the meat mixture is to use your hands, remove any rings and just go for it!
- Transfer meatloaf mixture to prepared sheet pan and knead it a few times to remove some excess air.
- Form into a smooth loaf. I like to make sure the loaf is no taller than 4 inches. Any taller and it takes a lot longer to cook through.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove meatloaf from oven and spread the remaining ½ cup barbecue sauce on top of the meatloaf.
- Place back in oven and bake for another 15-30 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Let meatloaf rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
What to Serve with BBQ Glazed Meatloaf
I like to serve meatloaf with a potato dish, veggie and sometimes a bread or roll for a complete comforting family dinner. Here are some of the best side dishes to have with this barbecue meatloaf:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Cauliflower Cheese Casserole
- Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
- Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits
- Easy Dinner Rolls
- No Knead Dinner Rolls
Make Ahead Instructions
This flavorful meatloaf is a great recipe to use for make ahead meals. Prep the meatloaf according to recipe directions. Once the loaf is formed, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or foil and store in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy. It is best to let it sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before baking. Pull it out of fridge and let it sit at room temperature while the oven preheats. Then bake as directed in recipe.
You can also double the recipe and freeze one of the loafs. Freeze it raw or cooked. Both work well. Let it thaw overnight and bake raw meatloaf as recipe states. Warmed cooked meatloaf in microwave or in low oven covered with foil until warmed through.
This recipe also works well for make ahead meal prep dishes. Follow all the recipe directions. Once the meatloaf is done baking, let it cool completely. Then slice it into individual portions and place in your meal prep dishes with a side dish and store in fridge for up to 4 days.
Storing BBQ Meatloaf
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat meatloaf in the microwave or in a low oven covered with foil until warmed through.
Tips for Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce
- Don't overwork the meat while mixing. Mix gently with your fingers just until it's all evenly incorporated.
- Bake the meatloaf on a sheet pan or in a baking dish to allow the outside to create a tasty crust. If you prefer, you can bake it in a bread loaf pan, but it will take much longer to bake through and only the top will have a nice crust.
- For best results, check the meatloaf for doneness with a thermometer at the 45 minute mark. It would be a tragedy to cut into a raw meatloaf or a hard dried out piece of meat. The meatloaf is done when it reaches a minimum internal temperature of 160°F.
- Let the meatloaf rest for at least 10 minutes so all the juices can redistribute. This is essential so the meatloaf is juicy and not dry. Do NOT skip this!
FAQs About BBQ Meatloaf
BBQ sauce can be substituted for ketchup. You will end up with a different flavor since most BBQ sauces have smoky elements to them.
First, don't overwork your meat. Mix the meatloaf gently with your hands just until everything is evenly distributed. Also, don't overcook the meatloaf. Bake just until the internal temperature is 160°F. Lastly, let the meatloaf rest after cooking. The juices need to redistribute throughout the loaf.
The most common reason meatloaf will fall apart is there is not enough binding agents like eggs or breadcrumbs. Make sure to follow the recipe as written. Also, if there is too much air in the meatloaf, it will become crumbly. Once the meatloaf is mixed, knead it just a few times to remove any excess air. Not too much though, you don't want to overwork the meat.
I prefer to cook my meatloaf uncovered. I like the crisp outside edges it creates. It can be baked covered with aluminum foil and removed for the last 15 minutes of baking time. Covering it will create some steam and keep the meatloaf moist.
- Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves
- Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken
- Grandma's Meatloaf
- Turkey Salisbury Steaks
- Chicken Meatballs
- Turkey and Zucchini Meatballs
- Salisbury Steak Meatballs
BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dry minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dry minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine: ground beef, panko crumbs, ½ cup bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, minced garlic, minced onion, parsley flakes and eggs. Mix with hands just until evenly combined.
- Transfer meat mixture to prepared baking sheet and knead it a few times to remove any excess air.
- Form into smooth loaf no taller than 4 inches.
- Bake meatloaf for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread remaining ½ cup of bbq sauce on top of meatloaf.
- Bake another 15-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve!
Leave a Reply