This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Strawberry Rhubarb Oat Bars are a must make this summer. They are sweet and delicious. A perfect addition to any barbecue or picnic! Take all that extra rhubarb you have and make a batch of these bars and freeze the rest! Did you know you could freeze rhubarb? You can! You can freeze the stalks whole or already chopped. Either way works well. I usually give each stalk a slight peel, dice it up and freeze it in 2 cup portions. Once you do that, you have rhubarb to use all year long. Now when you have a craving for something rhubarb when the snow is flying, you will have some to cure those cravings! Enjoy!
Strawberry Rhubarb Oat Bars
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and strawberries and simmer another 8-10 minutes until the mixture has slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. Set aside to cool while you prepare the oat mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and baking powder.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mix resembles course crumbs.
- Add a little over half of the oat mix into the prepared dish and press the mix down firmly and evenly. You want the mix to be packed down very firmly so the bars don't fall apart.
- Spread the filling evenly over the crust.
- Top the filling evenly with the remaining oat mix and pat down gently.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until the edges are nice and golden brown.