This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Apple Crisp Pie recipe is a combination of crisp oatmeal topping that is also used as the crust, and an easy homemade apple filling. This decadent apple pie is going to be your new go to dessert!
Pie has never been so easy! No need to fuss with an original pie crust for this recipe because it uses the same streusel topping as the crust. Pies can be intimidating to make, but this pie is anything but that. It's so simple, it's going to become a regular dessert!
This post was originally posted on 11/19/2014 and updated on 10/01/2021.
Apple Crisp Pie Ingredients
- Old Fashioned Oats
- Brown Sugar
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Salted Butter
- Corn Starch
- Old Fashioned Oats: I don't recommend substituting any other oat because the texture will be off and the crust can get soggy.
- Salted Butter: I prefer to used salted butter when baking, but you can use unsalted butter. If using unsalted, add ¼ teaspoon of salt to the streusel mix.
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour: Whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour can be substituted. Or you could also use a blend of flour. I like to use a blend of half wheat and half all purpose most of the time.
- Apples: Granny Smith is the normal go to apple for pie and crisps. I have tried almost every apple out there with this recipe and my apple crisp recipe, and they all work great! I really like to use Honeycrisp best, but that's because it's my favorite apple to eat. Use what you got on hand or growing in your backyard.
- Cinnamon: If you want the pie a more spiced flavor, you can substitute apple pie spice or add some nutmeg or cloves with the cinnamon.
How to Make Apple Crisp Pie
- Mix together the melted butter, rolled oats, brown sugar and all purpose flour until it resembles course crumbs.
- Scoop out 1 cup of the streusel and set it aside. This is for the topping.
- Press the remaining streusel into a greased 9 in pie plate, including up the sides. Set the crust aside.
- Next, stir the diced apples and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the sugar, water and corn starch in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir the syrup into the cinnamon apples.
- Spread the apple filling evenly over the crust.
- Take the reserved streusel and evenly sprinkle it over the apples.
- Bake in a 350°F preheated oven for 55-60 minutes until the top and edges are a deep golden brown.
Tips for Apple Crisp Pie
- Prepare the streusel crust and topping first and set aside. Doing this will help prevent the apples from having time to turn brown.
- Make sure the apple pieces are all cut the same size. This will ensure even baking in the filling.
- Bake the pie on a sheet pan to catch any over flow of the filling. This will avoid a mess in your oven!
- Serve the pie with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or caramel sauce for extra deliciousness!
How to Store Apple Crisp Pie
I like to store any leftover pie in the fridge, it'll last 4-5 days. It helps keep the crust stay firm. However, it can be stored tightly covered at room temperature for up to 2 days. After 2 days any remaining pie should be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
FAQs About Apple Crisp Pie
For this recipe, it is not necessary. The apples are cut small enough and will bake long enough to become soft and tender.
Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Gala apples are all good options that stand up well when baked. You can use any apple you like or have on hand for this pie recipe.
For this apple pie crisp recipe, it is important to use the rolled oats with melted butter. It creates a nice crispy bottom crust that can withhold the moisture of the apple filling. Also, the crust will stay more firm when the leftovers are stored in the fridge.
Other Fruit Dessert Recipes:
- Easy Apple Crisp
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Easy Peach Crisp
- Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
- Very Berry Apple Crisp
- Apple Pie Bars
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Peach Cobbler
Apple Crisp Pie
Crust and Topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 inch pie plate.
Crust and Topping
- Mix together melted butter, rolled oats, brown sugar and flour.
- Scoop out 1 cup of streusel and set aside for the topping.
- Press remaining mix firmly into pie plate and up the sides.
For the Filling
- Stir chopped apples and cinnamon together.
- Combine sugar, water and corn starch into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir syrup into apples until all the apples are coated.
- Spread apples evenly over crust.
- Evenly sprinkle and spread reserved streusel over the apples.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until edges and top are deep golden brown.
- Let cool before serving. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream or caramel sauce.