Do you like the combination of chocolate and peanut butter? It’s a very popular combo. The duo pairs so well with each other and my hubby can’t seem to get enough of it! Have I ever mentioned what his favorite sweet treat is? Guesses??? Scotch-A-Roos! Or basically anything that has peanut butter and chocolate together. I aim to please so it was a no brainer that he would love these Peanut Butter Cereal Bars! And guess what? He does love them!!
Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
These bars are delightful! Honestly, you could even call them somewhat “healthy” because they are full of fiber from the ground flax-seed and they’re sweetened with natural sugar…a.k.a. Honey! I definitely don’t feel guilty when I eat one or two. They are a breeze to whip up too! No baking required! Just mix it all up over the stove and pat into a dish. Melt the toppings, spread over the bars and Viola! You have some super simple and super fast Peanut Butter Cereal Bars that everyone will enjoy indulging in!
The topping is simply dark chocolate chips and a touch of coconut oil. Melt them over a double boiler or in a microwave safe dish and you have a quick, chocolately and delicious frosting! Dark chocolate is my favorite chocolate and when I said I aim to please it isn’t only for the hubby. I have to please my sweet cravings too! These do the trick! They weren’t only approved by the hubby, but they were approved by the kiddos and almost all my co-workers too! Can you believe that some of my co-worker friends don’t like the peanut butter and chocolate combination? I almost couldn’t believe it myself! However, my lovely friend loves strawberry shortcake and that happens to be my all time favorite dessert ever! (So, I think I’ll keep her around awhile!) I bet my co-worker friends would like me to make them some more of the Peanut Butter Cereal Bars sometime! Excuse me a minute while I go whip up a batch…
My co-workers are going to be super happy tomorrow! 😉 Go whip up a batch! It literally only takes 15 minutes plus chilling time! Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup honey (1 cup if you pass on the brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (optional but worth it)
- 1 cup peanut butter (natural, no sugar or low sugar)
- 1/2 cup ground flax-seed or flax-seed meal
- 6 cups plain circle shaped cereal (cheerios) or multi-grain
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- In a large sauce pan, combine honey, brown sugar and peanut butter.
- Heat on low until sugar is dissolved and peanut butter is melted.
- Stir in ground flax-seed.
- Stir in cereal and mix until all the cereal is evenly coated.
- Press into a greased (coconut oil or spray works great) 9x13 dish.
- In a double boiler or microwave safe bowl, melt together the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Spread evenly over the the bars. Let rest for at least an hour so the chocolate can set. Bars can also be chilled in refrigerator to speed up the setting process.
- Cut into 24 bars. Enjoy!