We recently butchered one of our Holstein bulls to fill our freezer. No worries… it was not a traumatic event! My children were very aware that the “cows” as they call them, would eventually end up in our freezer. We had the “farm to table” talk! Yes, they did name them and, yes they still ask when we eat beef, “Is this (insert name here)?” Really that is all they ask now. They really understood the concept of farm to table, which makes me a happy momma and so does this Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry!
Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
This stir fry dish is super simple to make and fast! From start to finish it took less than 30 minutes, and it only took that long because I was unprepared and still had to slice my beef. Which takes me a few minutes. I’m not a master butcher yet! I go slow, so I can keep all my fingers!
I personally like to use round steak in this recipe, but flank steak or skirt steak would work well too. I used raw broccoli, but you could also use a bag of frozen broccoli just thaw it ahead of time. My kids actually prefer it when I use the frozen broccoli because they like the broccoli more soft rather than with a little crunch to it.
Mmmmm… No need for takeout anymore! You can make a homemade version quicker and cheaper, right in the comfort of your own kitchen!
I like to serve this over a pile of brown rice, but you could serve it over rice noodles or lo-mien too. Whichever your preference is for the night! I just realized I need to invest in some big bowls to serve meals like this in! It would look much prettier in a big bowl! Time to go shopping…..
- 3 lb round steak, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen (thaw first if frozen)
- Cooked Rice
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon dried chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons honey or brown sugar (I prefer honey)
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients first, soy sauce, sesame oil, dried onion, honey and corn starch. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together corn starch, water, and garlic.
- Add beef and toss gently until beef is evenly coated.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat.
- Add beef and cook until desired doneness, I prefer beef to be medium.
- Remove beef and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and add broccoli.
- Cook 3-4 minutes. Return beef to the pan.
- Pour sauce over beef and broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.