If you are a banana lover these Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies are the next best thing compared to original chocolate chip cookies! I love bananas! I love banana bread and banana muffins and banana pancakes and banana splits and well… you get the point… I love bananas and I love baking with bananas. They are such a good, hearty and healthy ingredient to add to baked goods. Plus, they pair well with other ingredients like peanut butter, strawberries, pineapple, chocolate, caramel, and the list could go on… Do you see why I love bananas? Ok… Moving on!
This recipe was a complete accident. I was looking for a cookie recipe because I wanted to make cookies for my friend’s birthday. I also wanted to use up some ripe bananas that were sitting on the counter. I knew my friend liked my Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins because she ate almost the entire bag I gave her in the truck on her way home from my house which is about a 30 minute ride. It’s safe to say they are good! I also know that her favorite cookie is chocolate chip. So I thought, why not put them together? This accident was either going to be great or an epic fail. And the result of this accident was… well they turned out great! They look like ordinary chocolate chip cookies, but when you bite into one it is soft, sweet, bananany (new word???) and delish!
These Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies are great to share at a pot luck or family gathering, add them to your hubby’s or kid’s lunches, or even gift them to a friend on their birthday like I did. Oh and by the way… my friend absolutely loved them! These cookies are great for snacking and sweet enough for dessert. They would be great a la mode with ice cream and your favorite fruit topping. I may have to make these right now, just so I can eat them a la mode with homemade strawberry topping. Yummy!! I suggest you go make a batch and try them a la mode and we can compare ice cream toppings that pair the best! Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup butter, 1 stick
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 heaping cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and beat until combined.
- Add vanilla, soda, salt, cinnamon, all purpose flour and mix just until combined.
- Add the bananas and mix until combined.
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until incorporated throughout dough.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the middle springs back when touched.